First DSLR: D200 or D90?

stephen_fassman

<p> How can I convince my daughter that my pristine "used" D200/18-200VR is a better birthday present than a new D90/18-105 VR? She is quite a talented photographer and wants to move up from a P&S to a DSLR. She doesn't consider a "used" item as a present.<br>

Off course the fact that my upgrade path to a D700 would be much more economically feasable this way, has nothing to do with my idea of which is the best present....well maybe a little bit. So, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.</p>

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>"the fact that my upgrade path to a D700 would be much more economically feasable this way"</p>

<p>You mean you're giving her your old camera to offset the cost of your own upgrade, and she wants you to buy her a new one instead.</p>

<p>I hope my kid would appreciate any camera I gave her, but if I was given the choice I'd go for the D90 myself.</p>

I'd give her the D90 and the 18-105 VR. But pretend to be giving her the D200 until she opens the box. Bottom line is, give her what will make her happy. She'll never forget it. My father gave me a new Nikon FE2 when I graduated from high school. I'll never forget it. The D90 will also produce better images than the D200, as the D90 is much newer.

<p>A friend of mine puchased the D90 two weeks ago I have been inspecting his images carefully and playing with his camera when I can. I am soooooooo impressed with the image quality it delivers. I owned and used D200s for about two years and there is no doubt in my mind that the D90 is the way to go.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How can I convince my daughter that my pristine "used" D200/18-200VR is a better birthday present than a new D90/18-105 VR?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Tell her that Ashton Kutcher has cooties.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The D90 will also produce better images than the D200, as the D90 is much newer.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I disagree.</p>

<p>"Newer" has nothing to do with it, and CMOS isn't "Better" than CCD. The D200 will outperform the D90 (and D300) at ISO 200. It isn't until you get to high ISOs that the CMOS sensors have an advantage. The D90 and D300 might be appealing to sports/night photographers, but not neccessarily landscape and portrait photographers. She will also learn more if she has manual controls instead of the silly "Portrait/Pets/Kids" modes provided on the D90.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>A friend of mine puchased the D90 two weeks ago I have been inspecting his images carefully and playing with his camera when I can. I am soooooooo impressed with the image quality it delivers.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Then you would probably be impressed by the image quality from a 40 year old 4x5 camera. In the hands of someone who knows how to use it, of course.</p>

<p>Plus, if image quality is "important" I wouldn't get her a super zoom. I'd go with a 50 f/1.4 AFS or the new 35 f/1.8 AFS for the same, or less than the 18-200.</p>

<p>"The D90 will also produce better images than the D200..."<br>

what? cleaner high iso files or theoretical better techno performance mumbo jumbo doesn't produce "better" pictures.<br>

a real "take better pictures" gift would be the cheapest route and a ticket somewhere interesting. i guarantee that will equal "better pictures" faster then a more expensive, recent camera.</p>

<p><em>Keith said "The D200 will outperform the D90 (and D300) at ISO 200." </em> <br /> Do you have facts and examples to back up that statement? Because I've shot with both the D200 and D300 and the D300 is a noticeable improvement over the D200 at ISO 200.</p>

<p>Hey guys! She is a lady. Tell a girl to use your 4 years old D200 is like telling a guy to buy my used underpant. A young lady will take your old camera only if she gain something, such as financial gain.<br>

Give her a birthday present of $1150 cash (D90 body + 18-105VR price) and try to sell her your old D200 and used 18-200VR for $700. She will have $450 left for AFS 50mm or AFS 35mm or new dress.<br>

Love your daddy-liitle-girl. Don't always dream to have cash to pay for your new toy: D700 ONLY.</p>

<p>Assuming it's all the same to your budget, go with the D90. She might be interested in the video recording feature as well and it may provide some extra challenges and opportunities. The future of photojournalism is going to be a hybrid of still and video photography, and some blogs are a form of citizen-journalism. So if she has any interest in documenting her life in terms of current events, pop culture and trendiness, she'll be able to make use of both the still and movie features. The D90 has a very hip, pop-culture appeal lacking in the D200.</p>

<p>Just caution her to be careful with the kit zoom for the D90 - it's probably a bit more fragile than the 18-200.</p>

<p>Birthday presents should not be your cast off stuff. Buy her a D90 if that is what she wants. Oh, a D90 by the way is a very nice and generous gift. Also being young and all she will love the camcorder function. Kids love to shoot movie clips of their friends when they are acting funny and all that. After all they are kids.</p>

<p>Actually the D200 would be a huge improvement over what she already has, and if she is a true photographer, as opposed to budding gearhead, she should be thrilled to have a tool that increases her photographic capability. It seems there could be valuable lesson here instead of just indulging her lust for what's shiny and new.</p>

<p>>> "To her, it's probably like given her an old pair of shoes. She can wear 'em, but your smell is all over them."</p>

<p>>> "Tell a girl to use your 4 years old D200 is like telling a guy to buy my used underpant. "</p>

<p>>> "Birthday presents should not be your cast off stuff. "</p>

<p>Even though the D200 is a very usable camera, in fact a very good one. I don't think everyone would agree that someone in your daughter's position would feel comfortable (emotionally) about getting the old, used D200 as a B-day present. She would probably feel better if she gets something brand new and just for her. I'm not sure how heavily used the D200 is, but it would be bad if it malfunctions once it gets in yuour daughter's hand. If you really don't want to spend that much, buy a brand new D80 for $550 or a D40 kit for $450. I bet she'll be happier with either. </p>

<p>Since when does the word birthday require a thousand dollar expenditure to make someone happy? I am only 22 and haven't recevied a birthday present from my parents since middle school. If my dad offered to hand me down a d200 and 18-200 I would be ecstatic. In fact, I would tell him to sell the 18-200 and get me a 35 f/1.8 instead. Also, when is a used item not considered a present? Now it is most definitely different strokes for different folks but what my father did not give me in material goods he more than gave me in his time and care for me and my two sisters. The time you spend with her teaching her photography or listening and answering her questions is far more valuable than the camera itself...the camera is a means to an end. If all she really wants is the camera then buy her the D90 and be done with it... or if she really wants a smaller camera they are practically giving away D80s. But, if she really wants to understand how to be a good photographer then give her the D200 buy the D700, take her out to shoot with you wherever you go, and take the time to look at her work and answer her questions. The most gratifying gifts are not always those that offer the greatest instant gratification and they sure don't have to be brand new.</p>

<p>Three days ago, you wrote:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Gift giving is fun, esp when your daughter has a sweet tooth for my D200.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A day later, it was:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>...is the fact that my daughter now has a prob with a "used" camera (D200/18-200VR) for a birthday gift, and wants a new one..</p>

</blockquote>

<p>One important piece of information missing is: how old is your daughter? Everyone here seems to assume that she is a kid, but unless I missed something, that information has never been confirmed.<br>

Assuming she is a teenager, I see nothing wrong with a hand-me-down camera and lens as a birthday present - I would have been ecstatic had I received such a gift when I was that age.</p>

<p>DXOMark rates the D200 about the same as the D40x, no doubt due to age of the D200. Low light ISO ratings are about the same. Conversely, the D90 smokes the D200 in low light ISO which pulls it ahead of the D200. Now I don't know much about these ratings, other than they are based on RAW performance. I'm still reading throught the sites info myself.</p>

<p>In my mind, a good birthday present is a lesson that you don't always get exactly what you want in life. Afterall, a used D200 is not bad at all. As I said, you can always add a new lens or something. A D200 would be a big upgrade from a point and shoot, and there is no point to have so many fast-depreciating DSLR bodies at home.</p>

<p>Another good gife would be some beginner photography classes. Knowledge will last a lifetime while even a D3X will be old technology in 3, 4 years.</p>