B&W negative from color slides

joe_sacamano

Faced with a large collection of color 35mm slides from travel, I

recently experimented with creating a B&W negative by projecting the

color image onto a 4X5 flim holder (FP4) with my Zone VI variable

contrast enlarger. The print made with the negative produced was

disapointingly soft. Any ideas???

It could be that you were not focused correctly, you need to place a piece of white paper in your film holder and then place the film holder into a corner of your easel, then focus your slide onto that paper, turn off the lights and insert film or place another film holder in place on the easel so that it won't slide and then expose your slide in 1/2 to 1 second strips, develope and pick the one with the best contrast. Pat

I've made projected B&W internegs from 35mm color slies on cut film up to 11x14 that were sharp as a tack. I did it exactly as you would make a print. Focus first on a piece of white 4x5 paper, and use your white light on the enlarger. There should be no problems with sharpness if the slides are sharp. If you want to save money, shoot the slides 1:1 on 35mm stock, it's done all the time.

Hi Joe,

I told you these guys would know how to help. The more I think of it, I like Art's suggestion. Just dispense with the film holder all together and enlarge onto film just like you were doing a print, but of course in the dark. Tell me how it goes!

Scooter

There is nothing wrong with using a film holder to coordinate the position of the sheet and projected image. Make sure the emulsion side is up, meaning the grooves are on the upper right when loading the sheet into the film holder. You should also make four exposures and bracket them. Then give normal plus 2 development to all the sheets to increase the contrast. Do a contact sheet of the four sheets for minimum exposure for maximum black on the borders. The sheet that looks the best is the one to print. Then, take careful notes of your proceedure; enlarger height, lens aperature, focus, exposure, film, development and time, etc. That way you can repeat the proceedure for all you slides.

Hope this helps.