New Zeiss 25mm f2.8 on 5D Mk II

nickdemarcofoto

<p>Has anyone tried this out yet? I just read a review of the lens in Black & White Photography magazine and its got me interested - especially the fact it can focus so close. I am a big fan of Zeiss lenses (and using manual lenses generally on the 5D) but this one, being new, and needing an adaptor (Nikon - Canon) that costs £100 is more than I usually spend on manual lenses. I would be very interested to se how it does on a high rs FF camera like the new 5D Mk II, as that is what I would use it on. Anyone have any samples?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Nick</p>

<p>www.pbase.com/nickdemarco</p>

<p>Are you sure Martin? Apart from a lot of dogs, he seems to like the 50/1.4 a lot. Never saw anything about the 25/2.8<br>

<br />I'm sure the 50/1.4 is great, and his images look good. I have an old Contax 50/1.4 and I reckon it is probably the sharpest 50 SLR lens I have, just beating the Olymous Zuiko 50/1.8 which is also a great fast (and cheap) 50. In my opinion, and others are bound to disagree, the Contax and the Oly easily outperform my Canon 50/1.4 and my Leica-R 50 Summicron, niether of which I really use now. That maybe as I like to shoot as wide open as I can on a 50, and the Contax and Oly both look great wide open or stopped down one stop.<br>

<br />I have just been out with the Contax 18/4 again today. I am impressed with it on the 5D2. I am thus very interested to see what the 25/2.8 is like as it sounds a great lens.<br>

<br />Thanks for the tip Steve. I suppose I should wait, I have enough to play with now. It's just someone was strongly recommending to me the other day to get the Olympus Zuiko 24/2.8. I tried it on Saturday and it was a very fine lesn. I don't have anything between 21 and 28, and to be honest 21 hardly gest used (and will be used less now I have the 18 for those days you want very wide) but there are times when 28 doesn't quite seem wide enough. I have the Zuiko 28/2, and the Elmarit 28/2.8, and I actually prefer the Zuiko lens, but the 24/2.8 looked an even better lens to me. You can also pick them up at very good prices. So should I wait for the 25/2.8 Zeiss in Canon mount or get the Oly now? I wonder if anyone will compare the two lenses. I expect there might not be much difference except for the ability of the Zeiss to fucus, apparently within 3 inches (when I tried the Oly I had to be at least 11 inches away).</p>

<p>There are some comparisons on a site called 16 9. Not sure of the exact url but you can find it through a search. I believe the canon 24mm L won the comparison but the Oly 24mm was called a gem of a lens. I just ordered a Oly 28mm 3.5 for my canon 30d which is also highly rated. I have a Contax 50mm 1.7, and wow what a lens. I was so impressed by the Contax 50mm that I ordered a Contax 35-70mm Vario Sonnar. I compared it to my Canon 17-40mm L but was dissapointed. The sharpness was about the same on both lenses although I think the Contax would be better on a FF in the corners. Does the Ziess 18mm have the same level of sharpness as the Contax 50mm? I saw the street photo you posted and boy does it look sharp. FredMiranda.com is another great site where you can probably find some info on the Zeiss 25 mm f2,8, just look under the alternative lenses forum. Most people rave about the Contax 28mm 2.8 Distagon so I think the 25mm gets less attention, but I think it is well liked. Let me know what you find out. I am looking for an inexpensive alt 24mm with excellent sharpness.</p>

<p>Dean, although I think the 18 is very sharp, and better than my 16-35L Mk II at 18, I would not say it is as sharp as the Contax 50/1.4. I have the Contax 50/1.4 and the Contax 85/1.4, they are both very sharp indeed and not much comes close to them (some Leica lenses, the Canon 135/2 I have and the Oly 50/1.8 do). I wouldbe surprised if any 18mm was quite as sharp as that 50/1.4, and if it was I expect it would cost double the Contax 21/2.8, which I think you meant when you said the lens people rave about, supposedly the best SLR wide angle lens second hand copies go for £2k in the UK.<br>

I am expecting the 25/2.8 to be sharper than the 18, probably better than the Oly 24 (but only just), better than the 16-35 Mark II and, according to one site you referred to I think I did see a comparisson on, slightly better than the more expensive Canon 24 f1.4L.</p>

<p>I just bought a cheaper Nikon/Canon adaptor (I've always done fine with cheap ebay adaptors on my Leica, Olympus and Contax lenses) so I think I will take the plunge, if I can get the money, and buy the 25.</p>

<p>Nick, When you get it drop me a line. I'd like to know how it performs. I guess I got spoiled with the sharpness of the 50. You're right the Contax 21mm is the best but I meant the Contax 28mm f2.8 Distagon. I'm moving into digital from 4x5 which I have shot for the past 15 years so I'm always on the lookout for the best lenses for a reasonable amount of money. I have a Caonon 30D now and am moving up to the 5D2. My expectations are pretty high so who knows I may have to go back to 4x5.</p>

<p>I took the plunge and bought it. Should have it in a few days and will post up some pics once I have some.<br>

Yesterday I took the 18/4 out again and was very happy with some of he results, so I am especially looking forward to the 25/2.8.</p>

<p>Here is one of the 18/4's from yesterday.... (Some more at http://www.pbase.com/nickdemarco/londonmono)</p><div>00Sakw-112001784.jpg.72987b5ab53ce2a192e1e2023f83aa8d.jpg</div>

<p>Nick, wow -- the 18/4 looks very nice -- thanks for posting the examples -- much better than what I've seen of the Zeiss ZF 18/3.5, which has bad gull-winging. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the 25/2.8 -- which I've read has curvature of focus plane at short distances, which is typically mistaken for "soft corners".</p>