Canon 5D Mark II vs Nikon d700

guarda_caminos

<p>I been thinking for a while now to get into digital world, and think that the option is between these two cams. I dont care much about the d700 being weather sealed and the 5d not, nor the stupid video function of the 5d, nor the shots per second of both.</p>

<p>I want an awesome developing at high Isos, and a fast autofocus system; i been working with the 11 af of Olympus, an E3 that a friend borrowed to me for a while, and 11 was ok for me. Why not Olympus ? dont like it much, i prefer Canon or Nikon, so, any suggestions of people about High isos, and af system of these two would be help for me,and i guess that in IQ, both must be the same.</p>

<p>Also, dont know what else important to see about these two, im not a pro, but not an amateur either, taking pics is a passion for me, and wanna be sure about having buyed the right equipment, thanks in advance,</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>why not Olympus ? dont like it much, i prefer Canon or Nikon</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Uh, this is not an answer. Why didn't you like it? And why only Canon or Nikon?</p>

<p>Anyway, it is nice to see that even in these troubled times the worst problem dSLR beginners have is deciding which high-end camera to pick, unencumbered by actual needs, wants or informed preferences.</p>

<p>And to get the obvious out of the way: Canon 5D Mark II (since this is the EOS forum...)</p>

<p>Both have fast autofocus systems but the D700 is possibly/probably fastest between the two. The D700 has more focus points although the center 3 rows (15 points) are the only ones that are cross type. I typically use just the center point anyway when shooting sports as it seems to work best. I have never had any trouble shooting fast action sports with my 5D. The Mark II appears equally good or perhaps better (so some claim) than the 5D. I have not had it very long but so far its autofocus system has been quite impressive. I personally prefer the IQ of the Mark II over the D3/D700. I also find Canon's metering superior. The WB on the Mark II is very accurate as well.</p>

<p>The D700 appears to have a slight advantage noise wise according.</p>

<p>These are both excellent choices, and from what you say you probably will like either very much. They are laid out quite differently and feel different in the hand. You need to have someone walk you through their basic functions and let you rattle off some shots so that you can decide which you prefer. Then, there are the lenses. Canon has many more choices in nearly every category than Nikon, which I think is a big plus and was the reason that I chose to switch from Nikon film cameras to Canon for digital.. Many years ago, Canon switched to an all AF strategy with EOS, while Nikon has taken a more evolutionary approach and is still catching up. You should look at the lens catalogs and make sure that you can cover your bases in the price range you have in mind.</p>

<p>DPreview has a good review of the 5D mark II, which has a good comparison between it and the d700 and the Sony. <br />To me, the Nikon and the Canon were clearly better at high ISO. With the Nikon better at some levels and a toss up on other ISO levels. On the ones that were a toss up, the Nikon looked to have slightly less noise, but the Canon's noise was less disturbing to the image. So, IMO basically a draw but slight edge to Nikon.<br>

<br />The Sony has a more resolution that then Canon, and the Nikon is clearly the lesser of the three here. However, to me it looked like the Canon was sharper than the Sony up to near the point where the Sony passed it.<br>

With AF I would suspect the Nikon will out perform the 5D. I was pleasantly surprised how good the 5D's AF is, I have not had an issue with it. But, I'm still sure that the Nikon is better.<br /><br />I kind of agree with DPreview, the 5D is a great performer. The Nikon is great at high ISO and the Sony has resolution, but both falter somewhat at other things in IQ.<br /><br />However, either camera would give fantastic photos, as well as the Sony LOL.<br /><br />If you do not have an investment in either system, I would take a look at the lenses offered by Nikon and Canon. See if either line offers something you like over the other. Some people find affinities to different lens designs. If you don’t like the lenses offered even the best body won’t make you happy.</p>

<p>I have not uses Nikon DSLRs much but have experience with the old FM. I generally advise people to go Canon or Nikon as you are buying into a much more extensive system than Pentax, Olympus or Sony offer. In answer to the question it really depends on whether you have any legacy (e.g. Nikon or Canon lenses or other bodies). If this is the case buy into the system you have. Otherwise I can suggest the following<br>

On AF the Canon is nowhere near as bad as comments on this forum suggest - I happily shoot ski racing and ice hockey with it. Despite this I suspect the Nikon is better.<br>

On weather sealing the 5DII is actually pretty good - mine has survived most of the winter in the Canadian rockies with no ill effects (many days in -20C or colder and being carried in a backpack around the mountains). Again I suspect the Nikon may be slightly better but the differences are unlikely to be material. What conditions would you subject the Nikon to that you would not subject the Canon to?<br>

The EOS 5DII has the best image quality (on almost all tests I have seen) of any Canon body and pop-photo tested it as better (for noise) than the D700 at speeds up to 1600, they were the same at 3200 and 6400 and the Nikon was slightly better above that.</p>

<p>I own the 5D2 and love it. A friend of mine has the D700 and loves it too. Go to a reputable store, try them both out. Buy the one you like the most and fits best with your existing equipment.<br /> <br /> If you are buying your first DSLR cold turkey, then i suggest you visit the store a few times, and perhaps even different stores and get multiple opinions.</p>

<p>Bottom line: Both are excellent cameras.</p>

<p>Guarda,<br />It is not just a question of D700 or 5DII it is question of Nikon system vs Canon system, system includes lenses, flashes, RAW conversion software and accessories. I am lucky enough or maybe stupid enough to use both systems, each has its own advantages and disadvantages. What do you want to shoot? There is no jack of all trades, your question will have different answers depending on the subject. What is the usual/max ISO you plan to shoot at?</p>

<p>I would start off with the assumption that neither camera is going to limit you technically or creatively and both will produce excellent images. The things to spend some time assessing are... which one suits you best ergonomically and functionally, which one do you prefer after handling them in a store for while, and which system has the lenses and accessories that meet the needs of your photography best?</p>

<p>The last point will require a bit of homework and the first two will require a trip to a store and an hour or so of handling them, going through menus etc. and shooting some test shots if you find an amenable salesman. Once you do this, hopefully the one that suits you best will become clear to you. Remember that this one purchasing decision will set the stage for potentially years wedded to the same brand, so look beyond this one camera model and really assess your current and future lens requirements.</p>

<p>Not sure how the IQ of the Mark II has been changed, but my original 5D with DPP RAW processor makes the nicest color of any digital camera I've ever seen. On the other hand though, using channel mixer to convert to b&w, my D70 seems to have been better, and my Leica M8 certainly is better, at least with the level of skill I possess in photoshop. Point being, read as much as you can, but you never really know a camera and how it works with what you want and what you can do until you use it.</p>

<p>It is more than the camera to consider. For flash you will get more consistent and more accurate results with Nikons. With Nikon lenses you get a 5-year warranty, with Canon 1-year warranty. The Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 zoom does not have the back focus and calibration issues that have plagued the Canon 24-70mm f2.8. The Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 zoom has not had the QC problems of the Canon 16-35mm f2.8 I and II versions. A well known wedding photographer had to send the first 3 copies of the 16-35mm f2.8 II zoom back and when the 4th copy was bad he sent it to Canon for calibration and alignment.<br>

For best IQ with very large enlargements get the 5D Mark II but buy your lenses from someone like B&H and test them out carefully so you can return any bad copies you get. If you want a single camera you can take when traveling and need the highest level of reliability of the camera and its lenses get the Nikon.<br>

For great low light autofocus the best camera by far is the 1D Mark III which is significantly better than the Mark II which is on par with the D700 and both are much better than the original 5D. The only way to do a valid comparison is to have both cameras in a given situation and see which one locks focus faster and more consistently.</p>

<p>I agree with most of the points Bruce has made. D700 is a ID MKIII for the price of 5DMKII.<br>

You also need to look into the lens lineup from both the manufacturers. Canon has more affordable range of lenses (f/4). On the other hand Nikon produces some great f/2.8 lenses, which are ofcourse more expensive than the Canon's. Some of the Nikon prosumer lenses are also excellent in the optics department.<br>

If you are not too concerned with megapixels, then IMHO D700 is a better choice at this time. Out of all the features, better AF (accuracy, better spread of AF points + spot metering in every focus point) of D700 wins it for me. Commander mode for remote flash is another feature, which I like very much.<br>

I would suggest you to rent both the bodies for couple of days to see, which features you like most from both the great cameras.</p>

<p>All the best.</p>