I got 2 greenish/blueish splotches - one in a detailed area so it doesn't show

on print, the other in the sky so prints as a lighter spot (almost looks like a

cloud). What happened here? T-Max 100, 4x5, in a Beseler drum on a motor

base; presoak about 2 minutes, developed at Kodak time plus 10% @ 72f, 30

seconds indictor stop bath, 7 minutes Kodak fixer, several rinses, 2 minutes

hypo clear, 5 minutes wash, just a few drops of Photo-Flo in last rinse water,

then hung to dry. I tried rewashing when I discovered the spots but that didn't

help. Any ideas?

I presume they are onthe backing, that is where I have them occour. They are areas that have contacte the drum and the antihalation (sp)backing is not totally removed. I have had some success reducing the stain by putting the negatives back in developer AFTER fixing and before washing. You will see the stain diminish, but not necesarily be removed entirely. Normally the stain is light enough so as to not be a problem in the the sky areas of the image.

The cure? Let me know if you find one that works. I have encountered the stain with both Beseler and Unicolor drums. It also doesn't occour on every sheet nor on all of the sheets in the drum. I find the biggest culprit seems to be a damp drum, one that is just barely moist after cleaning from the previous batch of film. But even that seems an elusive cause.

Try to determine whether the stains are on the emulsion side or the back side.

If they're on the emulsion side I think it's probably dichroic fog. Some modern T-grain films, TMX included, are said to be prone to dichroic fog in some developers; I don't recall D-76 being one of those but I suppose it's possible. I've never seen it on TMX with D-76H 1:1 to 1:3. If you used minimal solution perhaps more would prevent it.

If the spots are on the base side they're probably caused by the film contacting the drum wall during processing and may be preventable by removing the film from the drum after fixing and running through the HCA and wash in trays.

Also, if you're using ordinary sodium thiosulfate fixer seven minutes may be a bit short for TMX.