<p><em>...Dual core will perform better as it will have a higher clock speed than the quad core.<br /> Photoshop is mostly single threaded so does not make use of all those extra cores (yet).</em></p>

<p>Clock speed for clock speed, the quad is always faster for photoshop because it is multi-threaded. The thing is, the quad costs 2 X as much. Today, the fastest cpu for PS is the i7 920 and is less expensive than the fastest quad it beats.</p>

<blockquote></blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p><em>then <strong>at a certain price point </strong>the</em> <em>Dual core will perform better as it will have a higher clock speed than the quad core.<br />Photoshop is mostly single threaded so does not make use of all those extra cores (yet).</em></p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Clock speed for clock speed, the quad is always faster for photoshop because it is multi-threaded. The thing is, the quad costs 2 X as much. Today, the fastest cpu for PS is the i7 920 and is less expensive than the fastest quad it beats.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>To me, it's like this. When everyone in my first (how to build) computer class said I was crazy for getting a 1GB hard drive, I asked the instructor what he thought. He said, if you can afford it, go for it, other wise don't.</p>

<p>I use a quad now, but the duel core's (and single core) have edited a lot of photo's and video's for me just fine.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Dual will do, Quad will do faster, i7 will do faster, Skulltail will also do faster.<br>

Funny when looking into upgrading my system, 99% of the sites I end up in are full of people that are gamers. Thats how I came across Skulltrail...a Dual Quad sustem!Its not often you can chat about a custom built PC that is designed strictly to run CS4 and other image editing apps. For instance, there is a benchmark that tests QPI speed, and on the 920 as well as the 940, they are equal. On the 965 it is mcu higher QPI. I read someplace that this makes a difference for faster image editing appswhile some other site I read that a faster QPI is better for overclocking. There so much to sift through if you want to be on the bleeding edge. So at the end of the day you just want a stable system that doesn't frustrate you in its speed of handling the size of the files you deal with regularly.<br>

Having said all that...I do wonder if Xeon chips are fasterthan i7 965 CS4 :-) </p>