580 EX II will not flash.

nicholas_baker

<p>My 580 exII is acting very strange. It turns on fine, but the pilot light will not come on and it will not flash. I have tried multiple sets of batteries and insuring it is not on master/a custom fucntion enabled.</p>

<p>Does anyone have an idea what it might be (Aka some stupid thing I am missing)? If not I am going to send it to canon I guess..... warranty just ran out.... :(</p>

<p>This has happened to my 430 EX II TWICE! The first time I changed the batteries and it was fine. This time, I haven't gotten around to messing with it. But this time it stopped working during a shoot. :-P Are you using rechargeable batteries? I have a theory that it has something to do with that, but I haven't purchased any non-rechargeable batteries to test the theory.<br>

I hope you get an answer!</p>

<p>-- "It turns on fine, but the pilot light will not come on and it will not flash."</p>

<p>If the pilot light doesn't come up, the flash isn't ready. So the main question is, why this light isn't coming up.</p>

<p>To make sure, there is no camera-CF interacting, set your flash to master-mode, and switch it on without having it connected to a camera. The pilot light should be on very shortly after switching on, and if you press the pilot button, it should flash. If this doesn't happen, the first assumtion is, your batteries are not good. If you tried several sets of batteries, and if you have inspected the battery contacts (within the battery chamber in the flash, as well as the poles of the batteries themelves) and eventually cleaned them, and if after this, it still don't work, you should contact Canon service with the problem.</p>