Macro with an 85mm and a close-up filter?

damon_macleod

<p >My D90 just came in the mail, with a 24mm/2.8 and an 85mm/1.8. I would very much like to shoot macro, but I don’t really feel like burning $600+ on a macro lens. My local camera store has a hoya 62mm close-up filter set that runs for about $130 (with +1, +2, and +4 diopters…whatever that means.) My question is this: with the hoya filter attached to my 85mm, will I be able to shoot quality macro? Or is worthwhile to purchase a dedicated macro lens (such as the AF-S Micro 60mm/2.8)?</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Thoughts?</p>

<p>Close-up filters are the cheapest way to get into "macro" photography - they are essentially magnifying glasses that screw onto your lens; you can even stack several of them together - obviously to the detriment of optical quality. Achromatic close-up filter (2-element) are better, but also more expensive (look for Nikon 5T and 6T or Canon 500D, a comprehensive list is here http://www.angelfire.com/ca/erker/closeups.html ). Extension tubes are an other option. The best option still is a dedicated macro lens though. <br>

A bit more info is here: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=001Fl7</p>

<p>$130 is steep for a single element close up lens. +1 or +2 may be OK but for 85mm, +4 single element will be pushing it. Hoya and Kenko did make two elements "AC" achromat close up lens but the max size for these are 58mm not 62mm.</p>

<p>For about $130, I would look for a used Nikon 6T (+3, dual elements, 62mm) plus a better off brand +1 single element close up. ie: Quantaray +1 62mm and a Nikon 6T will be a good used combo up to about 1:3 (60mm width) or so. If you take the time to look, may be you can get both for arround $60. The price of 6T had went to the roof sometimes, these days.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>OK thanx for the info. I had looked for the Nikon 6T diopters and unless I am mistaken, they are now discontinued. I may go the route of getting a 1.4 TC or a set of the Kenko tubes and try that to see how well it works.<br>

FWIW, I just recently took action (should have done it long ago) towards getting adequate support for the camera and lens. I got a Markins M20 ballhead and a Gitzo GT3531 tripod with a RRS L-bracket for my D700. I know I cannot hand-hold for magnification over 1:1 and get any kind of decent results. As I progress in my photographic education, I keep finding that the advice you guys offer is timely and accurate.</p>

<p>Damon, the answers to your questions depend on what you want to shoot, where you'll be shooting, desired magnification, etc. I highly recommend John Shaw's books on the topic. Regardless, single-element diopters perhaps are the worst possible choices. At some point, the topic leads to auxiliary lighting and tripods....<br>

The Canon 500D is excellent for what it is -- simple, easy to use, provides decent image quality, relatively inexpensive for the quality delivered, lightweight (at least compared to some other options), and not terribly flexible. Perhaps this is the minimum place to start. I carry one around for incidental close-ups.<br>

Lil, the 25mm Kenko tube I have maintains AF-S and VR. Tubes are highly worthwhile, but can be a bit fiddly and make the zoom and focus interact in odd ways. For much 'serious' close-up work, forget AF, VR, and most zooms.<br>

Disclosure: I don't shoot much 'macro' and it's not part of my professional work. When I do shoot macro, I might use a 500D, extension tubes, stacked lenses, or a bellows unit. Horses for courses.<br>

FWIW, I just got a D700 and am looking forward to using Live View for close-up work. I trust that Live View will mitigate the need for right-angle finders and eyepiece magnifiers -- very cool.</p>

<p>The Markins M20 is an excellent ballhead. However, it suffers from sag when tightening. This makes close-ups and long telephoto work more difficult than it should be. Maybe it's my technique that's at fault. If I did a lot of close-up work, or earned income from it, I'd consider a geared head.<br>

A Gitzo 3531 or similar is on my list -- great tripod. For close-ups, I use a Bogen 3021 tripod because the center column can be cantilevered at 90 degrees, which is useful for positioning. I don't much like this tripod, though. Some Gitzos have a rotating center column, which should be quite flexible for close-up work.</p>

<p >Chris, I’m mostly interested in shooting flowers and bugs. I have a decent tripod and an SB-600 speedlight. Alas, I can’t find a 500D at 62mm… is there such a thing?</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Lil, I checked out the kenko tubes, and they seem like a nice alternative that’s in my price range. But how exactly do the tubes work in terms of lens attachment? (From the picture, it looks like they mount directly onto the camera, so I’m guessing I can use them with any Nikkor lens?) Also, the three tubes only add up to 68mm… if I understand correctly, this won’t give me 1:1 with my 85mm. But will it give me a ratio that’s close enough for what I want to shoot? </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Thanks for all of your help!</p>

<p>Damon, checking B&H shows the Canon 500D in 52mm, 58mm, 72mm, and 77mm. You could use a 72mm with a step-up ring.<br>

That said, the 500D should work fine for flowers. It may not provide enough magnification for bugs -- large dragonflies at close range perhaps. I don't do enough of this to tell you off the top of my head. I can tell you that a 500D is less flexible than an extension tube set when you're dealing with different-sized subjects.<br>

IIRC, you need 85mm of extension to get to 1:1. Some of that extension is built into your lens.</p>

<p>Nice time to learn about macro lenses<br>

1) Close up photos taken by macro lenses look nice because the lens is designed for close focusing while your 85 is designed for head shots to infinity.<br>

2) Very close to all macro lenses made are nice lenses, can't think of a bad one, Nikon, Sigma, Tokina, Tamron all make good macros, you can get a good Sigma 50mm for $250 or so, I paid $225 for a 2nd hand Nikon 55 f2.8AF.<br>

3) Check out used lenses<br>

4) Any adapter or tube won't make your lens a macro, you may get closer but it will be hard to get to 1:2 or 1:1 magnification. Hint you need enough tubes to equal or come close to the focal length of your lens to get to 1:1. 85mm of extension tubes, in fact multiple tubes anything over 25mm or becomes unweildy.<br>

5) You loose light as you focus closer so it is nice to have the lens work with your in camera meter.<br>

Good luck<br>

Tom</p>