PSE 6 and DPP display different colors on calibrated monitor

<p>Hi,<br>

I just recently bought an external monitor for my laptop and calibrated it using Eye One Display 2. My workflow involves using Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP v3.5) for RAW conversion. Typically I export a 16-bit tiff and use Photoshop Elements 6 to further tweak the file if needed.<br>

Here is the question. If I open the 16-bit tiff on the calibrated monitor with DPP, the colors are different than when the same file is opened in PSE6 with Bridge CS3. The file displayed with PSE6 is flatter and less saturated. I'm more inclined to believe the DPP display, since DPP allows me to select the exact monitor profile generated by Eye One.<br>

Notes: DPP and elements are both set up with the same working color space - Adobe RGB (1998), and the correct monitor profile is selected in the Display menu of the laptop.<br>

The only explanation I can think of is that PSE6 is using the wrong monitor profile. How do I check which profile Elements is using?<br>

Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>I will guess you are seeing the use of picture styles. DPP uses the picture styles setting from your camera (depends on the model) which increases saturation. Elements doesn't know about the picture styles from the camera and won't add that saturation. If you set DPP to use neutral, it will likely be closer.</p>

<p>John,<br>

Thanks for the response. I think I solved it. I am using the laptop and external monitor as a dual display setup. I generated separate profiles for both. I went back an re-calibrated both monitors and re-generated the profiles. I now get consistant results with DPP and PSE6 for the same file (16-bit tiff) viewed on the same monitor. I think the first time around, either there was something wrong with the profiles, or PSE6 and DPP were using different profiles to display on the same monitor.<br>

BTW, I was a bit confused by your answer. I understood Picture Styles to only be a factor before RAW conversion. I'm comparing tiff files here, post conversion. I would expect the same result post conversion on any color managed software regardless of the picture style pre-conversion. Am I wrong?<br>

Anthony</p>

<p>I thought I'd replied earlier... I misunderstood your original post Anthony. I thought you were viewing the raw file (without saving it) in each program, which is why I thought about the picture styles in DPP vs PSE. I didn't realize you had dual monitors. It sounds like you got it figured out though.</p>