Which Lens?

christian_odell1

<p>I've asked a question that's tangential to this in the MF forum, but I thought it best to ask here as everyone here is focused on EOS. I'm taking a trip thru Paris to Pakistan and India. I'm bringing a 30D and an EOS film body along with a few Canon lenses. I'm also bringing several lenses from other systems adapted to Canon. My list is:<br>

24-70L<br>

85/1.8<br>

Kiron 28/2 mounted on EOS with adapter<br>

Zuiko 50/1.4 mounted on EOS with adapter<br>

Zuiko 135/2.8 mounted on EOS with adapter<br>

Mamiya-Sekor 150/3.5 mounted on EOS with adapter.</p>

<p>My question is whether or not, I'm being redudant here. I'm wondering if bringing the 150/3.5 is silly since it's so close the 135/2.8 in length. Am I carrying glass I don't need? Does anyone have an experience with this, particularly with those two lenses. </p>

<p>For what it's worth, the reason I'm bring so many MF lenses is that I like the look I get from them, plus I'm looking forward to playing with them on a film body.</p>

<p>That is kind of up to you if you want to carry around that much glass in your bag. Me personally would take the 24-70 2.8L and get a 70-200 f/F or 2.8L and that is all the lenses I would need. But if you really want to try out the other lenses with adapters then I guess you don't have any choice but to take them and that is a personal choice that only you can make. Have to remember with a crop sensor body, any of the Canon's L lenses is going to perform awesome and be sharp from center to edge, since you are only using the sweet spot of the lens.</p>

<p>Kiron 28/2 is on the range of 24-70 and maximum aperture is only 1 stop faster and at this focal is not critical...I leave it at home.<br />I agree with you for Sekor 150mm (out of bag...eheh)<br />50 1.4 is a useful lens in a low light situation (but I don't know if this glass work good at 1.4...) but not-autofocus can limit use in street photography ant therefore I chose little slow 85 1.8 which can help you to shot fast portrait on the road...<br /><br />Finally if you don't want spent more money I suggest you:<br />24-70L attached on the body...<br />85 1.8 to take fast shot in low light situations, from more distance and if you need blurring background<br />135 2.8 to take reasonable telephoto shotting<br /><br />If you have more space on the bag 50/1.4 is a good reserve for you.<br />Bye</p>

<p>Where is your wide lens for the 30D? You have too much glass in your bag that is totally redundant, but nothing to shoot wide for the digital.<br>

Here would be my proposed gear list for you trip (all FF gear)<br>

Sigma 12-24 (your wide on digi and super wide on film)<br>

Canon 24-70<br>

Canon 70-200IS 2.8 or 4.0 (I'd pick the f4 version to reduce weight)</p>

<p>That's all I would take except maybe a Canon 50 1.8 or 1.4 for low lights street scenes.</p>