Non USM Wide-Angle Primes

michael j hoffman

<p>I checked the B&H website for information on a Canon EF 28/2.8 lens. It seems all the non-USM wide angle primes (save for the 24/2.8) are listed as "back-ordered". Could it finally be that Canon will introduce updated versions of these venerable lenses?</p>

<p>Not all of us need L-class speed or build quality or size. USM-updated versions of the 24/2.8, 28/2.8 and 35/2 would be welcome additions to the Canon consumer-grade lens arsenal. It would be awesome if Canon offered these lenses with a maximum aperture of f/2, and kept them compact and light.</p>

<p>Michael J Hoffman </p>

<p>Don't care much for the usm, but updating lens' s is a good thing in regards to keeping a camera & lens sytem as good as it can be. If you don't need or want USM, prices will drop for those replaced lens... Everyone wins, except those of us that can't resist upgrading :)</p>

<p>Humm- could it be that Canon is dumping them or revamping them in an EF-S mount?</p>

<p>We've seen Mark II updates in the 14mm, 24mm, 50mm, & 85mm. Perhaps next month we'll see a MK II in the EF 35L MK II. And EF-S in 24, 28 & 35. </p>

<p>I'll believe it when I see it. Wishful thinking on my part for a EF 28 f/1.8 USM MK II</p>

<p>I asked Chuck Westfall about a non-L USM version of the 35 f2. While he cannot ever comment on what's coming from Canon, his response had a rather positive tone... but that's all there was to it, so I wouldn't read into that.</p>

<p>I want to get back to the original post and a presumption there. That is that if a lens is in short supply it is about to be replaced. Having watched the supply and availability of Canon lenses for more than 10 years now I can say that there is a very poor correlation between short supply and subsequent replacement. Canon usually only has 3-4 at most new lenses a year and it is very unlikely that all of the non-usm wide primes are going to be replaced at once. I am sure they will all be replaced at some point with the 35/2 likely first up if for no other reason to keep with Nikon. But watching what is in stock at B&H and Adorama is not a reliable indicator of when that is going to happen.</p>

<p><i>After over twenty years I'm still waiting for a non USM 100mm 2.8.......</i></p>

<p>You should've paid more attention, they made one 19 years ago: <br>

The <a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/data/macro/ef_100_28macro.html">EF100mm f/2.8 Macro</a></p>

<p>However, it was discontinued 9 years ago, and goes second hand for about the same as its USM successor...</p>

<p>BJ,<br>

Yes I know about that one but I not looking for a macro and the bulk that goes with it.I own a EOS CM 50mm 2.5 macro for close up stuff ( a outstanding all around lens) .Take a look at a Canon FD manual focus (non macro) 100mm 2.8 and you will grasp what I'd rather tote around for grab shots.EOS from the get go has always been zoom based and primes secondary - with FD it was the other way around.</p>

Have you considered a crop-body with the 60mm EF-S macro?

However, I agree that the non-L WA primes (the ones affordable by humans) are a bit behind. I'm not really bothered about short tele though. The 85 and 100 USM offer very good value for money. Maybe not as light or compact as the old FD primes, but you can't have it all I guess...

<p>BJ,<br>

Sorry,won't help me because I'm one of the few holdouts still shooting all film.We're getting a little off subject here....I do own the fast and slow versions of the 24,28,50,and a 100 2.0 and image quality (at least with slide film) is very good with all of them.It comes down to low light handheld performance and cost when choosing a set of lenses.The one outstanding performer in this group would be the CM 50mm macro - outstanding sharpness throughout the entire range.The 24 2.8 is not far behind.I own a complete set of the older manual focus FD lenses that pretty much match my EOS lenses and must admit they equal the later EOS offerings lens for lens for a lot less cost.Thanks for the tip nonetheless,someday it will be digital or nothing for everyone.</p>