AF-S lens or new body

sean_mccomber

<p>First off I am an amateur and I own a Nikon D40. I have been using it for several months now, but have grown a little frustrated in that I can't AF with all of my lenses. (mainly the 50mm 1.8, though I was also looking at the 85mm 1.8)<br>

So my question is....would you recommend moving up to a D90 (which price wise would be a bit of a stretch for me right now at ~$900) or just upgrade my 50 to the AF-S (~$500) and keep practicing with the D40?<br>

Thanks,<br>

Sean</p>

<p>I have a D90 and a 50mm f/1.8...works brilliantly, ultra sharp especially on a tripod. I have a self portrait that I shot using a tripod that you can zoom a bazillin times and it's still sharp...amazing, love the D90. Not sure if thats a great help but to be honest if you are spending $500 on just a lens or $900 upgrading the whole camera then keep for 50mm f/1.8 and the rest of your lenses and they will all autofocus no doubt...personally i would buy the D90.</p>

<p>Why not upgrade to a D80 for now, they are selling new and used for great prices. They will work fine with any of the AF lenses. While not the newest tech they work just fine, I love mine. I upgraded (or downgraded however you look at it) from a D60 a few months ago. While the D60 has better high ISO performance, IMO, I like the extra control I have with the D80. The dedicated buttons make usage a whole lot easier. Just another option to look at.</p>

<p>Wait for the 35mm f1.8. I've used the d40 and it's a great camera (if you can learn how to work around it's interface). The 60mm micro AFS will give you more photo options than the 50mm if your looking for a new lens. The D80 is also a good (IMO) choice if your looking for a better body.</p>

<p>Sean,<br>

you're frustrated with it. That's all you need to tell me. If I'm frustrated by a camera, computer or other things.... (exclude my horses - but then again maybe not...) I don't use it. I get no joy & happiness having "fun" with it. So, I often stop using it.<br>

I say - get a D80 at a great deal somewhere....<br>

But what do I know - I'm only a little old woman...<br>

Lil :-)</p>

<p>seems to me the people who most appreciate the D40 are 1) beginners and 2) serious shooters who want a small, light 2nd (or third, etc.) body they can take everywhere. then there are folks in the middle, who grow to find out they're limited by the D40 in certain ways -- like the lack of an AF motor in the body, single control wheel, etc.<br>

i'd also encourage you to take a look at the D80. go to a camera store and check one out, and i can pretty much predict your reaction...</p>

<p>I bought a D80 solely because I wanted auto focus with the 50mm 1.8/f. Now I have 2 bodies (40x and 80) with 1 good lens (the 50 mm). The only other lens is my D40x kit lens (18-55 non-VR, which sucks in low light). It's a weird situation but due to money restrictions, correction would take some time (as in get more lenses and a flash)</p>