Editorial Shoot- Total Novice

natasha_wharton

<p>I've got to produce some images as part of a magazine layout assignment on my uni course. I'm not a photographer save for the usual family snaps etc. I'm going to be using a Canon 350D and most likely shooting outside as I don't have access to a photo studio. Just looking for some tips and things to look out for really. The fashion story idea is based on the current trend of colour blocking....with the intended look of the images to be quite graphic and striking, with a slight urban feel. I have a few location ideas but it depends on the weather on the day really. Thanks!</p>

<p>Yeah it is a pretty cool assignment :) just want to make sure I do a good job as the entire modules mark depends on this! Yeah, we're gonna be using photoshop once the pictures have been taken. I've used photoshop a fair bit before so thats alright. Its the actual photo taking that I need some advice on really...</p>

<p>Natasha,<br>

Since this is an important assignment, find some friends with the appropriate wardrobe. Waiting for candids is too iffy. Look out for distractions in the frame, bad reflections (watch your angles shooting near glass) and poles sticking out of body parts.<br>

Good luck and offer your friends 8x10 glossies!<br>

Howard</p>

<p>I must be getting old, what is "color blocking"?<br /><br />Most people with little experience tend to be too far away from the subject. So don't be afraid to get in close for some of your shots. If they aren't good don't use them but at least give yourself the option.<br>

<br />Yes being at the mercy of the weather can be a problem. But it can also save you. For instance a moist street will reflect colors from signs, etc in the background. Shooting in the evening with a tripod and the colors reflected might be good for your project. Use wide angle lenses and telephoto lenses - almost never use a "normal" lens as it gives you a "normal" angle of view.<br>

<br />So add all my hints up into one suggestion: shoot with a telephoto lens, wide open (like f2.8 or f4), on a tripod, on a wet street, in the evening. Have a friend stand to the side and manually pop a flash, if needed for fill. DON"T use on-camera flash. Ick!<br>

<br />Get signed Photo Releases and Property Releases.<br><b>Signature URL deleted, not allowed on photo.net per the Terms of Use.</b>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>Thanks for all the tips :) I was intending to shoot in the evening so thats good. I don't know how much access I have to other equipment like a manual flash and other lenses, will have to check. Hopefully gonna be doing it in a few days so will bear all this in mind. Thanks again!</p>