a good all around lens

elliot_davoren

<p>

<p>I'm looking for a good all around lens. I am just about to buy the Cannon 50D and would like a lens that is good for portraits as well as landscape. I would like to have an aperture around 2.8 or more so I can get a good smooth blokeh. As I don't have much money, I would like a lens costing me around $500 or less.<br>

I've looked at the <a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/eos/EF-lenses/EF100mmf28MACRO/index.htm">Canon Telephoto EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Autofocus Lens</a> but I was worried that it might be too specialized for general shooting as it is a macro. I also looked at the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Telephoto Lens but had similar concern as it is a macro. should I be worried about zoom?</p>

</p>

With the 50D you can use EF and/or EF-S lenses. With a $500 price you have some choices. First you need to decide: Zoom or Prime. I don't think you'll find any zooms in the 2.8 range in your price bracket. Myself, for a single all-around lens, I would go zoom. I've got an old 28-105/3.5-4.5 that works well for an all-around lens. No so well for portraits and landscapes, but usable. The 85/1.8 is a fine lens, as is the 100/2.8. They all will act "longer" on a 50D.

<p>Someone may come around with a better answer than me, but the only lens that I've found that meets your hardware desires costs about what you probably paid for your 50d.<br /> Its the Canon 24-70mm f2.8L its going for $1190 new at b&h.</p>

<p>I have a 50d coming in the mail thursday. My lens setup is: 50 1.8, canon 10-22, and the 70-200 f4L.<br /> The 50 1.8 becomes a portrait lens (around 85mm on the 50d), the 10-22 is my landscape lens, and the 70-200 is my semi-telephoto lens. The 50 1.8 is the best lens you can buy for under $100.</p>

<p> There's nothing in the Canon line-up that meets your parameters. "portraits as well as landscape" " aperture around 2.8 or more so I can get a good smooth blokeh. As I don't have much money, I would like a lens costing me around $500 or less."</p>

<p> However, two lenses come somewhat close -- and within the budget. You could pop for the kit IS lens for the landscapes and environmental portraits, and an 85/1.8 for portraits, available light, and (sic) blokeh. Add another $900 or so for a decent flash and basalt tripod with a basic head, and you're good to go.</p>

<p>Neill is on the right track if you'd like a low-cost general zoom lens. I use the 100mm macro on a 40D and it works as a short telephoto (160mm) much better than any sort of general lens. Don't let the macro title scare you though. It focuses to infinity and also has a switch to knock out the closer auto-focus range for general purpose photog... Think of it as a regular lens with an extra feature that lets you get scarily close to your objects. If you don't want to go as long in the mm range, you could also try the ef-s 60 2.8 macro. It's super sharp and puts you in a fantastic portraiture length (96mm). You also get to play with macro. Once you have it, you'll love it. </p>

<p>Your consideration of the 100mm 2.8 macro is a good choice, and the 60mm 2.8 macro that was just mentioned is worth considering too. Both lenses are very nice for portraits and are among the sharpest lenses Canon makes. .....and macros are fun to boot.<br>

If you could spend a little more, the 17-55mm IS 2.8 is a <strong>great</strong> all around lens for a crop camera, but if you end up choosing a zoom, that Tamron 17-50 2.8 is a good second choice and its in your price range.</p>

<p>I use the Sigma 24-70 2.8 as a walk around lens and it works great I got it on amazon for about $420. But its too long on a cropped body for good landscape. <br>

Another option is the Sigma 30mm 1.4 ($314) which works out to be a 48mm on a cropped body. </p>