Pentax K200D or Nikon D60

ali.r

<p>I went for Sony myself when taking the DSLR plunge, but Pentax was a very close contender at the time and Pentax users are a bit more active here in PN than the "Sony underground" so I still keep a close eye on posts here in the Pentax forum :)</p>

<p>If your $600 budget is slightly flexible and does not include the lens, then I would definitely recommend the K20D based on everything I've read and seen here. Prices for it have been dropping for some time, the body alone is down to the $700 range in the US now (B&H has it at $712).</p>

<p>If you cannot spend more than $600 then you might want to (re)visit <a href="00OG4n">this thread</a> and consider snatching up a K10D kit instead of a K200D kit before they discontinue the former.</p>

<p>IQ is very high. Results are sharp right out of the camera. If using the normal "bright" mode for JPEG shots, sharpening should be left at default, since it is already set high in the K200D. It is remarkably well-built, especially for a compact body and its low price. Very nice when combined with a smaller lens too. The 18-55mm kit lens is also worth consideration, being well-made for what it is-much better than other brands. A remarkable performer for the inexpensive price, and quite handy at times.</p>

<p>SR is often very useful for low light/slower shutter speed use. I also use it for hand-held closeups. But it should be switched off when using a tripod under normal conditions. </p>

<p>The Pentax cameras are made better than the Canon 1000D/Rebel XS with better features. To get an idea of IQ, go to imaging resource website. Click on compare sample images, and select the Canon 1000D in one column, and the Pentax K200D in the other. Choose, for example, the photo of the woman indoors at 100 ISO with each camera. After selecting the same in both columns, click on the enlargement icon of the photo to get maximum size blowup. You will then see which gives you the greatest detail in the image straight from the camera. </p>

<p>Pentax decided to use very little noise suppression to preserve the greatest degree of detail. But the K200D and K20D have a new control to choose your own noise suppression, if needed when using higher ISO settings. Or you can do the best noise control with denoising software programs. This gives you the best options for quality.</p>

<p>BTW, the Pentax cameras have a little-known exclusive feature, the Pentax Hyper system. In Program "P" mode, it allows instant control if you are not satisfied with what the camera is setting for your shutter speed or aperture. You can choose as you prefer, and a touch of a button returns the camera to full program when you wish. In the Manual "M" mode, it allows exposure to be instantly set with a touch of a button. Great for taking spot meter readings quickly. </p>

<p>Which accessories are important to you? There are often third-party alternatives.</p>

<p>Canon 1000D also removes IR trigger and spotmeter. I suspect (unconfirmed) that it cannot control off-camera flashes wirelessly with its built-in flash. I believe Canon reduced the spec on the AF sensors/points in comparison to their 450D. It does however offer Live View. I would be surprised if you handled both and though the 1000D better-built or more comfortable than the K200D.</p>

<p>If you're going to buy a Pentax and continuously wonder & second-guess whether you would have been better off with a Nikon or Canon, save yourself the trouble and get the Nikon or Canon now. My opinion--none of the current D-SLR's or their associated systems are bad. All are competitive, and offer some advantages or disadvantages for certain applications. You might want to price out the camera and the lenses and accessories you're likely to want within the next couple of years. In a given market segment, the imaging performance is generally very competitive--what in particular do you think might make a difference to you? </p>

<p>I sometimes look at the lenses offered by the other companies and try to ask myself what I would pick if I was using that system. How much would those cost? For example, I like mid-range zooms...Canon's 17-85/4-5.6 doesn't appeal much to me. Nikon's 16-85 /3.5-5.6 tests pretty well but I would prefer it was 3.5-4.5 instead of 5.6. Sony has the nice Zeiss 16-80/3.5-4.5 but it's quite expensive. Same goes for Olympus 12-60/2.8-4, though the 14-54/2.8-3.5 is not unreasonable. Pentax has some very nice alternatives--the 16-45/4, the 17-70/4, and digging into the discontinued/used bin, I have a very nice FA24-90/3.5-4.5. Even Pentax's fast pro-build zoom the DA*16-50 is relatively affordable, priced something close to the Sony/Zeiss and Oly 12-60. If I had to shoot the kit lens, there aren't any available right now that I would want more than the DA18-55/3.5-5.6II.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Since you mentioned being concerned about the noise on your Pany, then I would recommend that you save up some extra and pick up a K20, as the noise control on it is excellent. The K200 is no slouch, either, but the K20 has a newer generation sensor that deals with it better. Since you like macro work, the DFA100/2.8 macro lens is an excellent choice; you'e also got some excellent 3rd party choices, as well (Tamron 90/2.8; Sigma 70/2.8, 105/2.8, and 180/3.5.<br>

As noted by at least one other poster, your lens choices for a Nikon D60 are quite limited; you'd need to move up to a D80 or D90 to widen your lens choices to a decent level. One plus with the Pentax bodies is that they can basically use any Pentax lens ever made, even the really old screwmount ones (with an adapter). If you don't mind using older lenses (both auto and manual focus), you can assemble a nice lens kit for not too much money.<br>

HTH,<br>

Heather :)</p>

<p>If you're even considering the Nikon D60, go directly to the D80 instead. It's basically the same "generation" as the D60 (not as new as the D90), but a crapload better in so many ways. Don't even consider the D40 or D60 unless you're looking for a backup, throw-away body to a higher-end Nikon.<br>

The K20D has also come down it's hard not to recommend it over the K200D. It's worth the few extra bucks in my book.</p>