D700 hot pixel problem

narayan

<p>My new D700 has some hot pixels visible even at base ISO 200 (for exposures in the order of a second or so) and at ISO's 1600 and above (for both short and long exposures). Worse still, I was surprised to find that turning long exposure NR 'on' had absolutely no effect in removing them! For exposures above 1 second, the camera did perform "Job NR", but the hot pixels remained. What is the explanation for this? Is there a solution to this problem (other than having it repaired by Nikon)? I certainly do not wish to repeatedly process hot pixels in every image. Is this a common issue expected with this camera? This is the second D700 I am trying after having exchanged one for stuck pixel problems. I appreciate your feedback.</p>

I've yet to see any hot pixels on my D700 and I have 2k exposures on it already, and I shoot ISO 6400 regularly (we have some dark days here in Seattle this time of year). That being said I was looking at a D300 photo taken last October and it had a hot pixel in it that I hadn't seen before.

<p>Narayan,<br />The first D700 I got (brand new from B&H) had a hot pixel that would show up at ISO>=800 so I sent the camera back for a replacement and I got another one, this one has a hot pixel that shows up at ISO>=1600. Because these were two random samples most D700s must have at least one or two hot pixels at higher ISOs, less likely at low ISOs but be prepared in case the replacement camera ends up having hot pixels too! Also the best way to test for hot pixel is to shoot a NEF with the lens cap on and then inspect the image at 100%. I have found that some people who claim that their camera doesn't have a hot pixel aren't actually looking carefully enough to find it. I would say that if you have more than 3-4 hot pixels at ISO 200 for less than 30 sec exposure try replacing it. That said, overall D700 is very impressive, I just shot a 30sec ISO 400 and I can't see any hot pixels, my 40D would light up like a Christmas tree at this setting w/o long exposure NR.</p>

<p>I tried the method described above. At ISO 6400, 1 second, I don't see any. At 2 seconds, a red one shows up dead center near the bottom, very dimly. As I increase the exposure, it becomes brighter, and eventually is joined at 30 seconds by numerous red, blue, and yellow ones. I'm guessing only the single distinct red one would be considered a "hot" pixel, is that right? Are the others cosmic ray or local radio noise or some such phenomenon?</p>

<p>Well, now you have me looking for it. I took a portraight of my granddaughter, ISO 2000, f/5.6, 1/15 second. She has on a white shirt, and I shot a black background. The aforementioned red pixel showed up in her shirt, and an additional blue pixel showed up on her face. It's possible another one or two are hiding in her hair.<br>

I've had the camera less than a month, bought from BuyDig.com. Is this something I should do something about? If Nikon is able to map them out, why don't they do that before shipping?</p>

<p>Ron,<br>

As you noticed there are hot pixels that are hard to find initially, so it is easy to miss them. All semiconductor chips are fabricated within a tolerance window so that an acceptable yield is achieved. Due to process variation and defects all sensors will have tens of hot pixels as fabricated, but they usually map these out via sw at the end of the assembly line, this is an automated process so sometimes the sw threshold is set such that it doesn't detect some of the hot pixels and sometimes they develop at a later stage. At any rate, it is nothing to worry about, after all you weren't noticing them before ;) My only surprise is Nikon sw cannot remove these hot pixels as ACR does, nor there is a menu option which will allow users to map the hot pixels. There was a technique for Canon cameras that people had discovered to remap the hot pixels, maybe there is one for Nikon too.</p>

<p> </p>