Dropped my camera

isabella_moretti

<p>I just dropped my canon digital slr onto the carpet! It dropped about half a foot and when I went to take a picture the lens could not autofocus as it seems to be stuck. I tried to manually focus and it moves slowly but makes a slight crunch noise. I cannot take pictures as it will not focus.<br>

What can I do?<br>

Can I fix this problem myself or will it need to be repaired proffesionally?<br>

I have only had it for about 6 months, will the warranty cover the repair?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for any help, Isabella x</p>

<p>It's possible that the problem is confined to the lens. If you have, or can borrow, another lens, you can determine if that is the case. Whether the lens, or the camera, or both have been damaged by the fall, this is not something you can fix yourself; the factory warranty only covers problems arising from the design or manufacture of the equipment; it does not cover accidental damage.</p>

<p>Canon will not repair it under warranty since you dropped it...<br>

Did you purchase one of the protection plans when you bought it? Some of them cover accidental damage..<br>

Do you have another lens? If so try it to make sure the actual body is not also damaged...<br>

If not find your closest camera shop and ask to try a lens on display with your body and make sure it focuses still...<br>

You didn't mention what body or lens you have - if it is a 18-55 it will be about 170 to replace and probably 100 or so to fix - get a new one if that is the case....</p>

<p>Sorry to hear your troubles. Normally, this sort of thing is NOT covered by your camera warranty, although you might check to see if your household insurance would cover it.<br>

Try removing the battery, mounting a different lens or remounting the lens, and in effect "reboot" the system. If you are lucky it might come back to life. Otherwise, home repair is not likely to be an option on these electronic marvels.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Sorry that happened. I think that's about the least impact I've heard of that has caused damage. Your body is likely just fine. What sort of lens do you have?</p>

<p>Your homeowner's insurance might cover the damage, but it's probably not worth it unless it's a really nice lens.</p>