25% failure rate with 5DMk2's in Antarctica

stephen_asprey2

<p>I live on the NE coast of England and spend a lot of my time on the local beaches.</p>

<p>I routinely use my 40D (and before that, my 30Ds) in <em>pissing-down </em> rain with my non weather-sealed 100-400mm in low temperatures, high winds (which send up the very fine sand and coal dust we've got on our beaches) and salt spray, <em>and I continue to do so</em> , because with some basic care and attention (like tucking the gar into my jacket when things get conditions get really nasty) this kit is pretty tough.</p>

<p>I have no experience of the 5D Mk II but <em>I'm in no doubt whatsoever </em> that this "issue" is about how these cameras have been used rather than evidence of any particular design flaw.</p>

<p><strong><em>I doubt its a coincidence that two of the six 5D Mk IIs that "failed" were owned by a husband and wife team...</em> </strong></p>

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Check this out....this for Nikon trolls and fanboys only...</p>

<p>http://alittlenews.wordpress.com/2008/01/24/shooting-in-the-deep-freeze-packers-nfc-championship-part-ii/</p>

<p>"My photo staff at the Green Bay Press-Gazette was given all brand new Nikon to test out at the game (and possibly the Super Bowl) by Nikon Professional Services. Unfortunately, all the beautiful D3 cameras failed the cold test. Upon kickoff I realized that NEITHER of my D3 camera bodies were working. I had one driving a 400mm lens and the other on my 80-200mm lens. Both cameras starting flashing “err” messages and when they would fire they would fire black images. Some of the images were half-black…similar to when you sync your flash at too high of a shutter speed and part of the shutter curtain casts a shadow on your image"</p>

<p>:-)</p>

<p>The explanation with salt water inside seems the most logical. But this gentleman who says he had two 5D2s and they failed almost at the same time, when he used them more or less for the first time on that trip (and only few times in good weather before) - it does not seem like an abuse or salt spray to me. From the description it does not look like water condensation, because he did not bring the camera from cold weather to warm yet. And salt spray? If the claims about the resistance to rain are correct, how does the salty water gets to the contacts during such a short exposure? And how did the salty water get to the 1Ds on the same trip year ago?<br>

The repair service saw corrosion and this was most likely the signal for them not to look into it any further and assume abuse. But what if the corrosion was there from production and was not the primary cause of the failure. Could it be, for example, that specific batch of these cameras had some residual of chemicals used for circuit board etching inside that expedited the corrosion?<br>

I think there is too little facts to draw any reasonable conclusion. For me anyways.</p>

<p>Nobody knows what these cameras were subjected to prior to the exact day of the failure. </p>

<p>A few years ago, a Photo.net friend of mine had a couple of D80's fail. It turned out he had very sweaty hands and used canned air to dry off his cameras after using them. This pushed moisture into the camera and over time caused internal corrosion leading to failure.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'll highlight this sentence from my above post in Canon's 5DII specs:</p>

<p>"In addition the camera body incorporates extensive dust and weatherproofing features including seals and gaskets where body panels and/or camera controls meet."</p>

<p>Seems they are overselling the "weatherproofing" claim in the specs.</p>

<p>For me weatherproofing is not a deal killer. I live in a semi arid region so weather proofing isn't a need for me. But if the camera specs continue to say "weatherproof" then some may buy the camera thinking its "weatherproof". I've read of numerous people using 5D in rain without incident. So I am sure my pair of 5D would survive with proper care. And I'd guess my D700 and Pentax K20D survive just fine too. Yet none of them have seen a wet day yet. But its peace of mind I suppose. Maybe Canon should weatherproof the shutter release button on 5DII? I'd think thats a critical component one needs to be able to use in a wet enviroment, no? </p>

<p> </p>

<p>If Stephen Asprey is correct with his Canon warrenty comments then they need to do more. Around here (the canadian rockies) 0C is not extreme weather - indeed this is a remarkably warm winter day (chinook). If they are not covering there cameras from being outside for 6 months of the year then ther is indeed a problem. The dealers make no mention of this - indeed when I recently bought my 5DII in the Camera store in Calgary I was not informed that by taking it from the store to the car I would lose my warrenty (it was -32C outside). Indeed the dealer explained that it was under warrenty.</p>

<p>Come on Canon -what is your position on this issue. I have used your cameras for almost 30 years. if exposing them to 0C or below invalidates the warrenty then they are unsuitable for sale in Western Canada and you should withdraw the product line. indeed you will probably lose a product liability case over the issue.</p>

<p>-32C....your laptop and your car would be warranty void too! It was +47C here on the weekend.<br>

Its not that the 5DMk11 is inferior, its that there is misrepresentation. They have a duty of disclosure at the point of sale to point out the caveats on page 12 of the manual. Thats all. After that its caveat emptor. The Antarctic guys should have used a Nikonos.<br>

My personal issue is not temperature or moisture, but in our climate, it's dust.</p>

<p>What I still find bizarre here is this incredible defence of Canon. It's like "hey don't you say anything negative about my Mommy and Daddy, we're so lucky they give us these things, in fact they're spoiling us and we will support them". I think maybe you should ask yourself why you're defending any camera manufacturer. Maybe what you're trying to say is, "hey I spent all this money of course I'm right". Which is wrong. I dunno for sure but I don't recall the same negative responce when the original 5D came out. But the game has changed since the intro of the 5D. See my view is I'm not moaning, I'm Oliver Twist and am asking for, and was expecting, MORE ... And not just in terms of weather seals. Come on guys can you really say, hands on hearts. that for exactly the same price they couldn't have done better.</p>

<p><em>indeed when I recently bought my 5DII in the Camera store in Calgary I was not informed that by taking it from the store to the car I would lose my warrenty (it was -32C outside).</em> <br /> <br /> Canon doesn't even have a way to determine what temperatures your camera was exposed to. Unless, of course, you handed them a melted camera, or a camera with parts split in two from liquid nitrogen submersion. Who said Canon would void a warranty because you carried your camera to your car on a winter day?<br /> <br /> Canon will not honor the warranty if it's obvious some abuse was involved. If you dunk your camera in a pool to take pictures, consider your warranty void. Guess what? Every other manufacturer has the same exact policy.</p>

<p><em>I think maybe you should ask yourself why you're defending any camera manufacturer. </em> <br /> <br /> Because I think it's absurd that somebody can admit to introducing severe condensation into their camera in Antarctica, resulting in failure, and within a few days not only is the 5D mkII deemed a faulty camera, but Canon is supposedly voiding warranties of people who carried their cameras to cars on cold winter days. This thread, and every one like it on the net, is nothing but an adult version of the game kids play where they tell a secret in a circle and see how much it has changed by the time it gets back around to the first person. Next we will have an Internet rumor that Canon 5D mkII bodies melt in rain. Come on people, apply some critical thinking skills!<br /> <br /> Every camera manufacturer needs to submit to some standard testing for weather and water resistance. They need to be clear as to what the test results mean for practical use. And they need to include a clear manual chapter on proper camera care in extreme conditions. Every manufacturer is guilty of failing here. The end result is a group of Antarctic warriors with more money than sense doing stupid things with their cameras.</p>

<p>"<strong>What I still find bizarre here is this incredible defence of Canon</strong> "</p>

<p>It's <em>nothing of the sort</em> , Al.</p>

<p>It's two things:</p>

<p>it's about maintaining an objective view of the issue - we simply don't know the "back story" here, and are not jumping to unfounded conclusions; and</p>

<p>it's about not whining and using this thread as an excuse to take every opportunity to have <em>yet another</em> pop simply because of some ill-concealed disgruntlement with Canon...</p>

<p>There you go you're doing it again. I'm not even sure you know what you're doing. You're praising them at your own expense. Simple question, do you want them to make you better cameras or not? If you do you need to ask for more not settlel for less. Trust me if you worked for these people they would always ask for more. Why shouldn't we. Wake up. </p>

<p>Well, there really doesn't have to be any "back story" to it. The cameras were brought to Antarctica in order to take pictures. The cost of the trip is typically very high; no one intentionally abuses their cameras. As far as I could understand, they used rain covers etc.</p>

<p>Some cameras apparently can function in the conditions (salt spray, rain, humid air, freezing temperatures etc.) reliably while others do not. If you plan to shoot in similar conditions, it makes sense take these reports seriously. In my opinion Michael has always been very positive about Canons and there isn't any reason for him to misrepresent the facts.</p>

<p>I shoot in sub-freezing conditions near water often and this is very much a consideration for me. I have not had equipment failures due to this even though I haven't always taken precautions to avoid condensation. I use Nikons.</p>

<p>There seem to be two contentions from Canon that don't sit together too well.<br>

1. In addition the camera body incorporates extensive dust and weatherproofing features including seals and gaskets where body panels and/or camera controls meet.<br>

2. As its not a pro body the weather sealing on the 5DII is only around the main portals (see pic) and definitely not around the shutter release. There will be no change to this until the next model perhaps. A fix is not available.<br>

Now I would have thought that if a camera is weathersealed, then the shutter release is a pretty important place to seal. Wet from fingers, if not direct rain, will fairly easily penetrate there, if it is not sealed. Furthermore, how can the 5DII withstand 10mm/3 mins of rain, as Canon claims it can, if the shutter release is not sealed?<br>

Puzzled.</p>

<p>Simple google search yielded me nikon seals on D700. Looks like Nikon has atleast two seals on shutter release and Canon has None.</p>

<p>http://www.nikond700.com/nikon-d700-review/photos-of-the-d700/</p>

<p>5D mark II shutter release is likely a new design since it activates HD video mode right? Do you have to keep it depressed for video?</p>

<p>I love my canon systems Both Eos & FD, and I've been called a "canon fanboy" numerous times. BUT I will not buy a 5DII since Canon markets it, sells it as weatherproof and then say it isn't when repair time comes along. And again I never subject my cameras and lenses to moisture but weathersealing is a selling point.</p>

<p>Maybe "weatherproof" to Nikon means something different to Nikon? You know since they show two gaskets at shutter release and canon showns zero gaskets at shutter release.</p>

<p>I'll restate nobody's cameras and lenses that i know of are ever subjected to the officially recognized "Ingress Protection Ratings" for electronic products, yet camera makers claim weather proof & water resistence without the proper certification proving "weatherproof" their marketing statements. I read Olympus dunked tested 3 E3 while powered on and two of three survived full immersion in water. So dslr weathersealing is possible using todays technolgy 66% of the time using one limited test from 2008.</p>

<p>Continuing the support for canon outdoors doing well, I've had my 30D out in some decenly bad weather. Last month I had my 30D up next a waterfall and had the spray litterally freeze a few of bottoms stuck and coat part of it's body also in ice. Besides not being use my direct print button (o dear!) and the menu button, it worked fine.</p>