Canon Wide Angle lens

ali_hussain1

<p >Hi </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I own a small sensor canon DSLR (Rebel Xsi ), and I am looking to purchase a wide angle lens. I am sort of between buying the : </p>

<p > </p>

<p ><strong>EF</strong><strong> 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM <br /><br /></strong></p>

<p >Or the</p>

<p > </p>

<p ><strong>EF-S</strong><strong> 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM </strong></p>

<p ><strong> </strong></p>

<p ><strong> </strong></p>

<p ><strong>The first ones is effectively a 25 to a 56 lens, while the second is an effective 16-35 lens. I’ve seen very good reviews of the first one, but will it provide me with the range I need ? keep in mind that I am a fairly new photographer, and i'm looking for a flexible lens that i can use to shoot land scapes and buildings, and such. </strong></p>

<p ><strong></strong></p>

<p ><strong>I currently own the standerd kit lens of 18-55 with f/3.5-5.5, and a 50mm 1.4</strong></p>

<p ><strong></strong></p>

<p>Hello Ali,<br>

I have been using the 16-35mm on my 20D for several years and have been happy with it. I do sometimes wish I could go wider but overall it is a nice change for landscapes and buildings. I find I only want it wider indoors rather than outside. Keep in mind the weight of this lens on a rebel would make it very front heavy and the 10-22 would balance well. Hope this helps.</p>

<p>I just bought a 5D, but I have no intention of getting rid of my 20D and XTi, well, maybe the XTi, but I don't regret having got the 10-20mm Sigma at all. After I went to Egypt with my widest end being a 17mm lens, I immediately bought the 10-20 when I got home. So long as you are using the 15x22mm sensor cameras it's hard to get really wide any other way. There is a <a href="http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3236&navigator=1">12mm "FF" zoom</a> , also from Sigma, but it is said to have strange results on a 24x36mm sensor camera.</p>

<p>Actually, the Sigma 10-20mm lens does mount and work on the 5D, but there's a fair amount of vignetting (<a href="00SJhy">link</a> , scroll down to my entry with side by side pictures of the Sigma on a 5D body). I wouldn't buy it for the 5D, but in a pinch it gives you another option below 16-17mm with a little cropping.</p>

<p>Obviously the 16- lens isn't much wider than your 18- lens. Does your 18- lens go as wide (or almost as wide) as you want? If so, the 16-35 is fine. A less expensive alternative that I think is excellent is the 17-40 f/4L. It's one of my favorite lenses, either on full frame or crop frame.</p>

<p>If you need wider, then you'll probably need the 10-22. You might enjoy this lens more, anyway, as it does not replace equipment you already have. If you have the IS version of the 18-55, you've got the sharper version already. I don't own the 10-22, but I agree that it's perfectly fine to have this for your crop bodies even if you later upgrade to full frame. Another approach that you can carry over to full frame work would be Sigma's 12-24, which is a controversial but (IMO) brilliant lens. It was a lot of fun to use on my 10D, but it's really too wide for anything but rather specialized interior architectural photography on full frame. If you're more interested in artwork sorts of photos, you probably won't want or need much wider than 16-17mm on full frame or 10mm on crop frame.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you want wide get the 10-22. I am usually against getting EF-S lenses but I am a very happy owner of the 10-22. In fact that with the 50 1.4 are my 2 most used lenses. ( I also have some L's so the 10-22 holds up to them in image quality ) </p>

<p>I first purchased L lenses thinking I would go to full frame but the 10-22 is so much fun I am not putting it off. If you want to save some money you may want to consider a Sigma 10-20 which is much cheaper and I hear very good.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I shoot full frame and found the opposite to Mark T. My 16-35 F2.8 II is better than the 17-40 f4 it replaced but i am not sure the difference is worth the much higher price. It may be that Mark had the 16-35 F2.8 MkI which did have some issues. I do not shoot crop cameras so i cannot comment but i suspect that you may want something closer to a 10mm lens for real wide angle results.</p>

<p>As anther Rebel owner saving for wide angle, heres what I'm hearing:<br>

Go wide, if you own the 10-22, you will shoot at 10... alot.<br>

The Canon 10-22 is an excellent choice. Also consider Sigma 10-20 little less sharp, for less cost, a good value. And consider the new Tokina 11-16: less range, but its f2.8 & supposed to be sharp.</p>

<p>I agree with Sarah regarding the 17-40L, but it's definitely not wide enough on a 1.6 sensor. I used the 17-40 on my 40D, but also had a Tokina 12-24 (great lens) for wide shots. Once I got a 5D, I sold the Tokina 12-24 because all my wide shots are done on the FF with the 17-40L. You can probably get the Canon 10-22 and the 17-40L for about the same cost or less than the 16-35L by itself.</p>

<p>Scott</p>

<p>I have the XSI and the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8. At first I was concerned this range would be too wide, but that's certainly not so. Lately I've used it far more than my 17-55mm IS 2.8. The Tonika 12-24mm f4 is a nice lens, but the Tokina 11-16mm and the Canon 10-22mm have slightly better IQ. As previously mentioned, 16 or 17mm isn't very wide on a crop.</p>