Identifying Bronica S2A Prism

michael_f._flynn

I have a Bronica S2A for which I recently purchased a prism finder.

The dealer didn't know for which model it was made. I fits fine but it

seems to be a lot dimmer than the waist level finder (maybe 1 -1 1/2 stops). I have seen finders advertised as S, S2A, EC and Deluxe. The

finder just says Zenza Bronica. I took it apart to clean it and the # 76

is stamped inside. Is there any way I can Identify this finder.

Thanks for any help,

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike - See http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/bronica.html for general

information on Bronica accessories and compatibility for the classic

S, S2, S2a, C, D or Deluxe, and EC/TL cameras (including prism). I have seen some previous comments on the relative dimness of the older prism finders (a search in MFDigest might locate similar comments). The general answer was that these older prisms *were* quite a bit dimmer than the latest models. A related comment noted the newer copy-cat prisms (e.g. Kiev prisms for hasselblad, see http://www.dedal.cz/Ca_MF_EN.html#Accessories site) were also a good bit brighter than their older and more expensive originals. A recommendation was to compare your finder against a finder of the same mid-70s vintage. Chances are good you will be surprised at how dim both prisms are compared to the latest versions. Regards- bob monaghan

• 4 months later...

I am curious whether anyone has tried to use one of the Beattie Brightscreens on an older Bronica. Although they do not make one for these cameras, perhaps there is one which will fit. That might counteract the dim prism finders. I myself am considering getting a prism although the dimness certainly scares me away.

Anyone have a good source or know a good alternative for rear lenscaps for old bronicas?

• 5 years later...
This is an old thread, and I'm sure that Mr. Lister long ago found his supply of rear lens caps for the lenses of the old focal-plane Bronicas, but for those who are still searching, I've found that the plastic tops from "Pam" non-stick spray cans (it keeps food from sticking to frying pans: most supermarkets have it) are a perfect fit, after you've cut away the narrow fins on the inside.