Buying a leica m6 or m7 in hong kong on sunday

I have a brief layover in Hong Kong next month from saturday

night to sunday afternoon. I was going to stay in central (but I

could change it to Tsim Sha Tsui if you all think I should) and

was looking for an open place to get a good deal on a liscenced

(no gray market) m6 or m7. (I haven't decided.)

Any shop suggestions?

this suggestion is not necessarily for new leicas, but they may sell them or can refer you to a good one. i don't remember the name of the shop, but they have a promenent leica logo displayed on their store-front. it is quite a small shop so one must pay attention.

it it in tsim sha tsui near the peninsula hotel-a great place to have afternoon tea. so, say one exits from the main entrance with all those pool rolls royces out front; go left to the main drag and walk north (?) not more than a couple of blocks past all the boutique shops selling swiss watches and the like. if north is what i remember, the shop is on the west side of the street.

the shop had the greatest collection for sale of enameled (green, grey, black) collector leicasi've ever seen-incredible. i didn't bother asking for prices-"if you cannot afford it..."

it's probably your best resource, they directed me to a place-again not remembered-for a hood i bought.

if you are staying in Central, Hong Kong, Kinefoto (66 Stanley Street) is the place to visit. Price is very reasonable though not the lowest.They sell grey market and also authorized products. I bought a 50 mm 'cron grey @US653 and a grey m6ttl @US1487. If you are staying in Kowloon side, there is a large photo shop selling Leice. This shop is on Lock Road just behind Hyatte Regency Hotel. Lock Road is very short and you count'nt miss this shop. I have not bought anything in this shop but am told that their price is one of the lowest. Good luck and welcome to Hong Kong

<p>Best idea is to use the shops frequented by local photographers. Wing Shing (57 Sai Yeung Choi Street South, Mongkok - near Mong Kok MTR Station Exit E2) has a good Leica section. The shop is extremely popular and can get crowded, though. Wing Shing have a sister shop nearby at 106 Tung Choi Street, which is a little quieter.

<p>In Yau Ma Tei, Kowloon Photo Service is also a Leica dealer. But they're closed on Sundays and shut fairly early on Saturdays.

<p>For Tsim Sha Tsui I'll only recommend one shop for Leica cameras: Tin Cheung in the shopping arcade in Tung Ying Building (100 Nathan Road, enter the arcade next to Timberland). As a Leica dealer they should have new stock but also have a lot of secondhand available too.

<p>Can't say much about the Lock Road shop - I've only bought a battery in the shop but personally wouldn't consider shopping for more there. I'd generally steer clear of most shops in the Tsim Sha Tsui district. For a bit more on camera shopping in Hong Kong (and a good warning about shopping in Tsim Sha Tsui) visit the following page:

<p>http://www.bubbachan.com/photoshopHK/shophk.htm

haven't been there, but in my research i've found that the bodies are not that much cheaper in HK but there is money to be saved on lenses. If I was to spent +$2K on a M7 which is a new product line I would happily buy it at a Leica day at a authorized US dealer and the the % YEARS PASSPORT - cannot beat that type of protection and mental safety net!

Then you also have the pleasure of establishing a good connection w/ a US dealer since you are bound to want more Leica stuff going forward. Price is only part of the equation...

cheers,

"if you are staying in Central, Hong Kong, Kinefoto (66 Stanley Street) is the place to visit. "

Forget HK Island on Sunday - nothing is open on Stanley Street, except one or two (mainly non-Leica) shops. Best bet is TST - Tin Cheung (100 Nathan Road), which is a short walk from the two shops on Lock Road (side by side round the side of the Hyatt) - Francisco Photo and Cameron Photo. Would strongly suggest you comparison shop between Lock Road and Tin Cheung before purchase.

Happy Shopping

I hope this helps: Nothing reputable opens in Hong Kong on

sundays before 12.00 noon. The dealers you refer to are in

Kowloon. Tsimshatsui is a part of Kowloon and is the metro

stop.

The current best dealer price for an official (not grey market)

Leica M7 is HK$15,000 and for a Leica M6TTL is $11,500. 1

US$ = HK$7.8, so you work it out. If you want to pay by credit

card, there is an extra 2 -3% charge - non negotiable.

Tin Cheung in Nathan Road (in an arcade) is OK, as is

Francisco in Lock Road. Kinefoto is generally more expensive

but in any case, they do not open on Sundays.

There are currently no grey market M7s in Hong Kong but there

are plenty of grey market M6TTLs for HK$11,000. You can buy

one from the above dealers as well as from Salon Camera at 3

Iching Road Kowloon.

Now what about some lenses? 24 Asph - HK$9,000, 28/2.0

Summicron - HK$9,900, Tri Elmar - HK$10,500. Why stop

there? Go for it, you will never buy cheaper. Make sure you get

the warranty card.

• 5 years later...