D200 "died" - after firmware update

ronny1

<p>I'm myself a Canon user (so don't shoot!), but I'm posting this question for my friend who owns D200.<br /> So here it goes:<br /> He updated his camera with the latest firmware version.<br /> The mistake that he has done was putting both of the updating files together on the same memory card, while it was written that he MUST update them separately. Unfortunately he didn't pay a good attention.<br /> Now the camera won't work-<br /> 1.the screen is black (won't turn on)<br /> 2.when he turns the camera ON the shutter goes down ones, and the camera actually registering an image on the memory card. (which he can later see on his laptop)<br /> 3. but after that, the shutter button won't work anymore.</p>

<p>the camera started to die slowly, first he has noticed that the AF stopped to work and short time after the rest mentioned problems appeared.<br /> Have anyone of you experienced the same problems? How did you solve them?<br /> Thanks a lot guys.<br /> And for other members who are about to update their cameras, let it be a warning! read the instructions carefully, so this won't happen to you!</p>

<p>Jay - I've suggested that to him.<br /> But he can not access camera's menu, because the screen doesn't work.<br /> So it makes it kind of difficult, though I thought that if he finds menu's layout somewhere on the net. And then just follows that to get him to the right directory, then maybe it might work!?<br /> So to your question, no he didn't try that yet.<br /> That's why I'm trying to outsource the best possibilities for him, before more damage is done.<br /> The problem is that I live to far away from him, and can not just get over there to take a look at it myself.</p>

<p>I think it may be possible but I assume it is unlikely that by just updating from a memory card where both files are present the camera "dies".<br>

I would look for other causes. Perhaps he did not wait until the update was finished and switched the camera off? Perhaps the battery is low? Or when holding the camera in an unusual way for the update your friend hit some button?<br>

Perhaps the update file was corrupted? There should be a checksum to prevent such a problem but perhaps the protection failed?</p>

<p>Try a reset and recharging the battery. If that fails contact Nikon service .</p>

<p>Good luck .-)</p>

• 6 months later...

<p>The same thing happened to my D80, I started updating the firmware and then it started blinking green. I had both files on the card, of course it was late at night and I missed the part about one at a time. I was trying to fix my battery error with the update. Did you have any luck sending it back to Nikon? How much did it cost?<br>

Thanks,<br>

Brad</p>

<p>Perhaps you should first find out *what* will a firmware update fix or improve before taking the chance. When it comes to sw or fw update, on a computer or camera, I usually follow "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it".<br>

D200's firmware update only fixes a problem with a third party lens. That's what I recall Nikon claims, and I have not found any owners reporting otherwise.</p>

<p>Brad- You should contact your local Nikon. I don't remember the exact price, as the D200 was my friend's camera (and was fixed by Nikon Israel). What I do remember is that it was not cheap. The good part of it...that it can be fixed. Good luck.</p>