Advice for second paid event photography job.

joshua_goodey1

<p>Hi all,<br>

I'm soon to be doing my second paid event photography job. My first was a project close party in a very dimly lit bar, very tricky, had to learn how to use a flash on the fly (not sure I actually learnt much...still heaps to learn!), but I just about pulled it off, albeit with much tweaking in Lightroom.<br>

My next job will be a couple of hours shooting a tree planting ceremony in London. It will presumably be overcast (this is London in winter), though possibly sunny, and there will be one crucial photo I need to capture including a VIP.<br>

My question, vague though it may be, is what advice could anyone give me on shooting such an event? I am aiming to provide 40+ photos to the client (too few? last job I provided around 60 - too many?!) and set up a web gallery as in the first job.</p>

<p>Equipment I own includes:<br>

Canon 40D,<br>

Canon 17-85mm f4-5.6,<br>

Canon 50mm f1.8,<br>

Canon 75-300mm,<br>

Third party speedlight, <br>

A decent tripod.</p>

<p>I am thinking it may be necessary to hire a lens or lenses that would give better image quality and a bit more to play with aperture wise...17-55 f2.8 for example.<br>

Any advice anyone would be willing to offer on such a job would be much appreciated and may help calm my nerves somewhat!<br>

Kind regards,<br>

Josh</p>

<p>I love the 24-70mm f/2.8 as a great general purpose, portrait and wedding lens. In the future, I'd recommend investing in the 70-200mm f/2.8 (not the 4.0). You may need a good telephoto for this next shoot. Consider renting the 70-200mm f/2.8 at a local shop.</p>

<p>How far away are you going to be from your subjects? <br>

Do you have freedom to move? <br>

Do you have or are you permitted to bring a step stool if the crowds get big?<br>

It is going to be daytime? <br>

If it is day time, press type coverage?, everything you have will get the job done. </p>

<p>What does your 70-300 open up to?</p>

<p>Take the equipment you have, go out similar time of day and go shoot in a park. Leave your flash in the bag, unless you understand High speed syn (or how to pop it in manual. for shots needing more than 1/200th ) You should save your money (im thinking that you are thinking of doing this pro) For good glass. You don't have to get 1.2's but good "l" glass. </p>

<p>The camera bodies will come and go, but your glass will last a long time. </p>

<p>If you shoot (god forbid) at high noon and the sun breaks, try playing with braketing. </p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Natlie is right I love the 28-70 even more than the 85 1.2 Great glass</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Outside you aren't going to need wide aperture lenses. You are going to need fill flash, whether overcast or sunny. Overcast because that is usually down light, meaning eye socket shadows, and sunny because of harsh shadows. This isn't a wedding, where artistic license can excuse not perfect exposures. Image quality of your lenses will be at least decent, particularly if you aren't using them wide open. If you want shallow DOF, use an ND filter, but I again, this isn't a chance to show off your art but a chance to show off your technical competency and ability to cover everything well.</p>

<p>Provided you have the ability to move, and your Flash is powerful enough to fill at around F8, the 17mm to 85mm zoom on a 40D should be suitable for any typical Arbour Ceremony. </p>

<p>It is likely the VIP will be used to staged shots, so it might be the the critical nature of one particular shot is more your nerves, than fact - you might investigate that.<br>

<br>

The ability / licence to roam, or at least work close, at Community, Public, Official Functions, is far more important than the use of a telephoto lens. I think you should ensure you have this ability to move.<br>

<br>

You need to use the leverage of working close to allow a perspective which will enhance the Story and impact of the Ceremony. Ask any Newspaper Photo-Journalist (dying breed) - many work(ed) with a 35mm Prime only, for this type of event - in fact the Canon EF35F1.4L has it roots as THE photojournalists' lens . . . remember that a 35mm equates to about a 20mm lens, on your 40D. <br>

<br>

There are two areas of equipment, where you are vulnerable: <br>

. no second camera; <br>

<br>

. no spare Camera batteries ? . . . particularly important if London's present weather continues: beware of shooting for long periods outside in the snow / cold . . . also you might need gum boots . . .<br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p>Joshua,<br>

I think you are right to take the flash (haha I wrote flask first - that may be the most helpful accessory -afterwards!).<br>

What time of day is the shoot? It gets dark around 3:30pm in London in January, correct? If it is sunny, you're going to get slanting light, which may be beautiful, but will cause dark shadows. Maybe a reflector or two might be useful, just in case. Depending on the time of day and weather you may need wide aperture lenses. Go out and take test shots at the location between now and the shoot.<br>

For your own sanity, make a checklist of your equipment and of the most important photos, so you won't forget anything going to or coming from or during the shoot. It will help you to feel organized and you won't be trying to remember things while under stress.<br>

Take a long, slow deep breath 3x. Good luck!</p>

<p>Joshua<br>

I am not a wedding photographer and have no aspirations as such but I felt compelled to save you from the nonsense, with the exception of Nadine every poster had some recomendation about equipment for you. This is utter nonsense the equipment you have is perfectly adequate for the job in hand in fact a good point and shoot in the right hands would be adequate.<br>

The most important thing is attitude, you have to own the situation. All the people are probably looking for is a good press release picture to send to the local press or trade magazines.<br>

The most important thing is you don't be afraid to pose the people how you want them, there will probably be no press there unless the VIP's are very famous but if they are there don't let them intimidate you, you have a job to do remember but if they are there all the better let them do your work, that is set up the picture. My main point is this don't worry about the equipment except adequate media and charged batteries etc etc.<br>

The most important thing is your attitude act like you been doing it for years be funny be charming but get the picture you want too many amateur and beginner photographers are afraid to stop the proceedings to get the pictures they need. You don't need a tripod or reflectors, just a camera, a lens and a flash and some hutzpah.<br>

And to the person who recommended a new expensive lens shame on you , I actually thought you were reading a different post. <br>

Steve</p>

<p> </p>

<p><br />Steve Hughs:<br /><br />Allow me to be a little precious, (and in a kndly tone). <br /><br />In light of your opening paragraph, especially the "utter nonsense" part and to those to whom it refers: please re-read my six paragraphs. <br /><br />Yes I did make a comment on (extra) equipment – right at the end – considering some parts of London are under 2ft of snow, spare batteries IMO are necessary. <br /><br />As for a spare camera: few Professionals these days would attempt an assignment without a spare.<br /><br />Cheers :)<br /><br />WW<br /><br />PS, and again I write in a kindly tone - that word you used to mean “gumption", has a silent "C" at the beginning of it. :)<br /></p>

<p> </p>

<p>William<br>

As usual I owe you an apology, and please the kindly tone is unnecessary, anyone who rants the way I do has no right to be thin skinned. I did not intend to include you in my tirade your advice was as usual sound and sensible. I just find it a little sad when people are more obsessed with equipment than the basic ability to do a simple job of work, I can understand this from amateurs but coming from professional people I find it hard to accept.<br>

I stumbled acroos the post and was amazed to see the absurd advice that was being given, to recommend renting a 70-200mm lens for this simple assignment is crazy, it's a tree planting not the super bowl. The lad was asking for advice and I feel strongly that he should not have to sift through nonsense about equipment when all he really needs is a bit of sensible encouragement. You are of course right about a back up camera batteries etc etc, cheers Steve</p>

<p>Thanks all, for your time and considered responses, the advice is much appreciated. I have spare batteries and memory, they just seemed to be a given so I didn't include them on the list is all. <br>

As for a backup body, I may be able to borrow a 450D from a friend that would be a perfect backup.<br>

I should have the freedom to roam free on the day, but I will go and investigate the site this weekend and take some test shots to try and avoid as many surprises as possible.<br>

Thanks again,<br>

Josh</p>