Focusing Cloth for 16x20 Camera

michael_legan

My wife (bless her) made mine out of two layers -- black on the inside and white on the outside to reflect heat. Sewed in big washers on the corners to hold it down in a wind.

The best part: we measured around the back of my 8x10 and she sewed in an elastic band so that it easily fits over the back, and then up over my head. Easily removed after focusing. We had also measured to make sure it would be long enough to drape completely down my back. It's huge (so am I -- 6'6"), but it works marvelously.

So I agree with make your own, or have someone significant make one for you.

Bruce

Yup, make your own. Head over to a fabric store and see what they have. Make it a heavy duty fabric, two colors, black on one side, white on the other. Treat it with Scotchguard or other water proofing. The elastic sounds like a great idea. I sewed a heavy duty zipper at one end to zip it up around the camera so it does not slide off while working.

Hope this helps!

Definately make your own. It is very cheap. All I had to do was buy the two pieces of fabric (white and black) and have them sewn together. 1 yard by 2. It cost $5 for the sewing and $20 for the fabric.

The great thing is beaing able to pick custom fabrics. I used black velvet (great because it reflects no light, and it grips great. I mean it won't slide all over the place when trying to focus.) and this white fabric for sewing onto curtains to keep sunight out. I can't remember what it's called; black-out maybe. Completely light proof, and a bit wieghty. Makeing it great for use in the wind.

There is a great article in the september/october 2000 issue of view camera by Gordon Hutchings on benefits and tips on making your own.

hope this helps.

Constructing the cloth is a very good idea. I would add to the suggestions given earlier only these : material-- Black ultra-suede with a white cotton backing obscures light extremely well. The cloth can be folded, abused, etc. and retains its shape and efficiency. As an added feature I had a tape measure sewn into one edge of mine, useful for quick determination of exposure increases when moving close to the subject--or extending the bellows significantly.

The elastic works well around the "mouth" of the cloth. But I suggest you make certain the cloth will fit on and come off the camera easily. The BTZS cloths I have had fit so tightly that removing them for film holder insertion ia a problem. Hope this helps.

Some would use velcro strips sewn in rather than elastic. Either works, but the velcro picks up all sorts of dirt, etc. over the years.

Bob

The only problem with making your own (or having a non-sewing-impaired relative/friend make one) is that now that we are a part of Photonet, it is a violation of the Photonet ethos to make or adapt something rather than to pay lots of $$ for an "official" photographic product :-) Personally I made my own dark cloth (my wife cannot sew, but I can).

I would definitely go BTZS; they'll custom-make their cloths in sizes

over 12x20 for about the cost of, oh, maybe 5-10 sheets of 16x20 film.

It could be the best investment you'll make:

http://www.darkroom-innovations.com/BTZS_Focus_Cloth/btzs_focus_cloth.

html

(delete the space before "html")

Also, for those who have standard-sized BTZS cloths: for little or

nothing they'll modify their standard cloths for those who find the

standard sizes too tight or too loose for a particular camera model.

Just send it back, tell them what you want, and they'll adjust it

exactly as you want it.

If your looking to purchase you have two sources. The View Camera Store (formally known as Darkroom Innovation and the primary source for BTZS) and Wisner cameras. The View Camera has a very unique cloth which has elastic band sewn into the edge so it hugs your camera. I have two, one for my 8x10 and one for my 8x20. They are very nice.

Best of luck

Michael