portraits of a blind subject

nicola_boyle

<p>Im a photography student in my last year at university. Iv recently finished my dissertation, to which i investgated the portrait, its construction and representation of the sitter. I came to the conclusion that a portrait is affected by four aspects; The photographer- their ideas and methods brought to the portrait. The sitter- their influences, how they wish to be percieved and the way they perform. The context which you view the portrait, and the social and ultural influences. With this in mind i am now embarking on my final degree show, to which i have consentrated mainly on the sitters affect to the portrait. I have decided that the only ways in which a sbject is unable to perform is when they are babies, asleep, dead or blind. I wish to take photos of blind or partially sighted subjects to see how they pose themselves for the camera. If a subject has never known what they look like, if a subject has never been influenced in how others react to a camera,does this affect the way they represent themselves? And in what way?<br>

how strong is this idea? and are there any influential photographers i should look into?</p>

<p>Nicola,<br>

Your idea is fascinating. I think blind subjects will definitely have ideas about how to pose despite never seeing a portrait or themselves in the mirror. I remember seeing a photo essay on a school or perhaps music school for the blind in Egypt by the photojournalist Lori Grinker. This was a photo essay done some time ago. I would like to see the results of your projects.</p>

<p>Your distinction between blind and partially sighted is an important one--it's surprising how much you can perceive with a limited sensorium. "Totally" blind people may be able to recognize faces through touch and have self-perception via kinesthetic receptors--the sensory cells embedded in your muscles that allow you to know how your body is disposed even in total darkness--and the sort of facial expressiveness that everyone is born with. Feelings seem to be expressed with the same gestures and grimaces even across cultures, so it may be part of our DNA.<br>

I would suggest that your subjects should have some form of feedback about their photos. You might start by showing them pictures made with photopolymer film, which represents light or dark areas as raised areas (depending on the process), and can produce reliefs up to a tenth of an inch thick. If you undertake to provide photopolymer portraits resulting from the sitting, this creates an interactive quality that might result in interesting evolutions of portraiture with successive sittings. <br>

Consider providing them with reference points for the portrait, such as a frame within which the picture will be taken. Be aware that your own expectations can influence your results unless you've been very careful to interact according to a neutral protocol--you might consult with your experimental psych department. Moreover, consider that a portrait of interest to a sighted person might not be of interest to a blind person. Your subjects may behave very differently depending on the audience they are posing for.<br>

Finally, consider how you will present your results. Will you show photographs in color? In black-and-white? Photopolymer prints? Photopolymer prints encased in a black box providing only access for the hands and tactile evaluation? <br>

Your university may have an education department, a special education department, or clinics specializing in eye disorders. Your first step might be to go there and get some background in visual impairments. Good luck!</p>

<p>Nicola unless they where totally blind from birth, with no human contact I am not sure this would work. The floor below my office was located the valley school of the blind. People who are develop blindness over time will look at you when you talk. Remember they have a sighted experience. They do not forget that because they become blind. Also remember humans are social creatures so even blind at birth people learn and adapt to the social condition around them so you would be surprise at how well they pose themselves. The biggest tendency I have seen is people born blind will tilt their head upward to get maximum sound input like Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder. I have shot many photos of them and a few EPs of them. For me it was like working with any other subject, blindness had little to no impact on the photography.</p>