Beginning Wedding Photographer question about camera purchase under $1000

beth_reynolds

<p>I was about to write what Benjamin did.</p>

<p>If you've been shooting professionally for a while, presumably you already own decent glass. Get a body that you can use your existing lenses on.</p>

<p>Otherwise, if you're considering a whole kit for under $1000 for a wedding... I'd stick with film.</p>

<p>March doesn't give you a lot of time to become familiar with digital. Without a tutor or mentor you really need around six months to get familiar enough with the equipment and editing to get good results under the pressure of a wedding. With a tutor, mentor or good workshop specifically geared toward the wedding pro making the transition to digital you can probably progress quicker. Depends on what's available in your area or if you can travel to attend an intensive workshop.</p>

<p>And unless you buy used it'll be difficult to find a dSLR for $1,000 that will be satisfactory. The only new dSLR currently on the market I'd be comfortable with in that price range is the Nikon D90. But since I'd want a backup I'd rather buy a pair of good used lesser bodies for $1,000.</p>

<p>The other option is to rent. Try before you buy. Is there a pro shop in your area?</p>

<p>For something as important as a wedding you'll probably get your best results using equipment you're already comfortable with and good pro quality film. For indoor use with flash I like Fuji Pro 400H (formerly NPH). Great stuff, handles mixed lighting better than Kodak Portra, tho' Portra was lovely outdoors in daylight - a bit more muted, pastel like colors than Fuji.</p>

<p>Find a really good lab that can deliver good proofs on quality paper. Makes all the difference.</p>

<p>How do you shoot things now?</p>

<p>As Lex says, if you shoot film.</p>

<p>On the use of digital: I spent about 1 year getting familiar enough with the digital workflow before it became the main use camera for weddings. So you may want to get familiar with its workflow before committing this wedding to it. Just a thought.</p>

<p>If I had 1k to get a body and shot with Canon, I would probably look for a decent used 40D. If Nikon a D90. If Pentax a K20d. If Oly, an E30, if Sony an A700 used.</p>

<p>Best, D.</p>