8 x 10 availability

adrian_tyler

I thought that MF would be enough for my needs, then I got a 4x5...

I thought that 4x5 would be enough for me but I keep seeing prints off

of 8x10...

The only scary thing about this (now that I have been clinically

diagnosed as, shall we say obssesive) is film availability in 8x10.

That is to say, there are a lot more 4x5 users out there than 8x10

users and with the current trend in mass photography going toward

digital, should I worry about film availability for the 8x10?

Sure you should.

<p>

I think we all are concerned about the future availability of our favorite 5X7 and 8X10 films. But as far as I'm concerned, that's no reason to stay away from using 8X10. In fact, if that were to become the prevelant attitude, then the future of LF Photography is surely bleak indeed.

<p>

Delve into the world of 8X10, buy the film and help keep the demand for LF film alive.

As you move up in format, your choice of films decreases, but as you become less concerned about grain and as the information you can capture on the film improves, it becomes easier to make the films available do what you want them to do. Arguably your choice of films increases, because films that might be too grainy in smaller formats (BPF 200 or Tri-X at N+2, say) might be ideal for 8x10" contact prints.

Dear Adrian

I too have been pulled into the abyss. I started out MF, then when I tried 617 I saw what larger film size could do, then I went 4x5 and most recently 8x10. I have had lots of fun with Polaroid transfers on 4x5 which is what got me into thinking about doing the same thing with 8x10-just a bit harder to manage. The tranfer process convinced me to buy an 8x10 and I am so happy that I did so! In talking with a rep from Fuji, he is confident film will be available, but it may not be a regular stock item (read special order or larger quantities) for many stores. However, people like Calumet will service us-there are still lots of photographers who shoot ads and even one of the Playboy photographers uses 8x10.

Keep spreading the word about the glories of big film!

Regards,

John Bailey

I believe there is always going to be film in B&W for 8x10 although we may be limited to one company and one or two emulsion speeds. As someone stated previously this is not really a problem due to the size of the neg. I exclusively use HP5 or its Arista equivalent for my work.

If it is a real concern, buy a used camera off of ebay and if film availability really does dry up someday you won't have a few thousand tied up in a new camera.

I had the same concen as you, only for 5x7. My response however was the exact opposite: jump in while there's still time! I figure there will be film available for at least another year, probably five or more, and I intend to shoot and have fun and satisfaction in that time frame. Anything beyond 5 years will be gravy.

I shied away from 8x10 because of the bulk, weight, and cost, but not because of short life expectancy.

Have fun now, today. Life's short.

CXC

I've been shooting <B>Canon 35mm manual focus</B> stuff for 30 years, and about the time Ebay came on the scene I was diagnosed with <B>an acute case of CAS</B> ("Canon Acquisition Syndrome.") However, I'm happy to report that my CAS has been <B>in remission since I got my 4x5</B>.... life is good!

adrian, 8x10 film? No problem! Kodak makes it. Ilford makes it, Bergger makes it, Forte makes it, Efke makes it, Fuji makes it, Arista sells relabelled Ilford, Foma I hear sells relabelled Forte. Who knows how many other companies out there are selling the stuff! Don't worry, as long as we keep shooting 8x10 somebody will fill the niche. 8x10 is fun! Start shooting! Cheers!

I thought 8x10 might be a niche with few followers until I tried buying cameras and lenses on Ebay, and was always bid out at the last second by someone who wrote down the closing time and waited for the chance to ace me out. That hasn't happened anywhere else. Why also are there multi-year waiting lists for cameras; not just Wisner, but Phillips, Toyo, Wehman, etc.

I think there might be a backlash going on against all the digital everything - this type of photography has an honesty and grandeur that can't be reproduced by some pocket shooter, no matter how many megapixels.

This is really an issue of simple supply and demand. As long as

people want large format film, somebody is going to fill the void.

It may not be Kodak or Ilford, but somebody is going to step up to

capitalize. Heck, when Kodak quit making large format Infrared, a

German company stepped up to deliver the goods - look how

obscure that is by comparison. The automobile has been here

for nearly a hundred years, but somebody somewhere is selling

horseshoes to all the horse aficionados out there. The free

enterprise system and good old fashioned capitalism will keep

film around as long as people like us are crazy enough to drag

50 pounds of gear into the field.

I do not think any of these concerns are an issue. Here is why.

In this months issue of PDN there is an article titled "Going

Against Convention?". I quote, "At Corbis, for example, out of

the approximately 650 (large format) photographers on the

company`s commercial stock roster, I would say less than 20

are shooting more than 50% of there work digitally" The article

goes on to say the reason is it costs about $100,000 to covert to

a solution that can compete with the clarity of 8x10 film. This

tells me there is still a lot of LF film still being sold.