Manual Remote Flash

phuduc

<p>Couldn't find the answer anywhere. I am using a D90 and SB-600 as remote flash. I have started doing the intro exercises on strobist.com. According to the exercises, I'm supposed to set the remote flash to 1/16 and position it all over the place. On the SB 600, when I turn it to work as a remote flash, I no longer have access to manually change the strength of the flash. I played around with my D90 and when you go into the menu, it looks like you can then change the power of the remote flash. It is really really slow however. Is this the only way to change the power output from the remote flash by going through the menus? That seems way to slow.</p>

I think strobist.com does not offer yet usable information on the Nikon CLS system that your camera and flash have.

Stop doing strobist exercises, and learn more CLS system.

Until strobist provides exercises specific for Nikon D90 and SB-600, you can rest and enjoy Nikon CLS system.

Not all what your read over Internet is applicable or good.

<p>Yes Richard, the only way to change the power setting is through the menus in the camera. That is because it's the camera that decides how much power the slave flash will put out via wireless communication (CLS). When the SB600 is in manual mode (not wireless) it's the flash that decides the power.<br>

<br /> If you use an SU-800 as commander it's easier to change power settings because you can do it directly from the SU-800.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>"Really, really slow" will quickly turn into "10 seconds of button pushing" once you get the hang of it. It's no big deal, really. You may also not be realizing that the CLS flash settings, once you play with them, will be in your camera's most-recently-used menu options so that you can get to them even faster.</p>

<p>Richard,<br>

Those guys aren't kidding Nikons CLS is prety cool. I have looked at the Strobist stuff got the DVD's, played with the way they do it, got those silly little flash triggers from china that work when they want to, I still enjoy messing with that stuff. I'm not Knocking Strobist or the guy that puts it on, but that CLS is great, just think you don't have to move from your camera to adjust your flash you do it in camera. I use a D300 but I think the D90 will do this as well (correct me if I'm wrong fellas) with the pop up flash. I've only played with mine a little bit so far but man that was neet.</p>

<p>Give it a try.<br>

Mike</p>

<p>PS. if you don't like it I'll trade you an old flash that you can adjust for your SB 600 ;) Ha Ha.</p>

<p>Thanks. I guess I'll just access the changes through the menu on my camera. Yep, the D90 can do the same thing as the D300. I find it pretty fun to mess with the flash. Looking at the manual from Nikon and a lot of the Strobist stuff it looks like I'd be better served getting a second flash. Dang, too bad the SB800 is no longer in stock. i spent the rest of my money on a new 70-200! SB900 or whatever commander will have to wait.</p>

<p>Richard: Sounds like your of to a good start. Since your "experimenting" once you have the flash set a given power output, try moving the off camera flash closer and farther away from your subject as well as side to side. Start at 45degrees up and to the side an go from there. Closer to camera =shalower shadow. I have a commamnder system and routinely set the power mid to3/4 full in MANUAL mode, and simply move the flash to adjust its effect. Its faster than navigating through menus. If you have a meter you'll begin to equate the exposure and flash readings. Eventually you'll develop a technique that works well for you. Lighting your work will set you apart from all others.</p>