Should've left well enough alone

martyphotoarts

<p>I didn't (leave well enough alone that is) and now I may have problems. Here is what's going on...<br>

Bought my D300 back in June of last year and hadn't updated the firmware to the latest version yet. So I decided to do it today - only it doesn't seem to be working. I followed the directions from Nikon's web site for using a flash card and reader, and they say it takes anywhere from 3-5 minutes. Mine has been going for a little better than an hour. They also say you shouldn't disbturb the process or the camera will become inoperable. My top display reads "PC" and the line of hash marks just keeps running. This can't be normal, is it? I feel that I may just be screwed here. Any suggestions for getting out of this unscathed? Any help would be enormously appreciated.</p>

<p>You don't leave the camera connected to the computer. . Copy the update file (you have to do the two files seperately) tio the root directory of your cf card. Then put the card in the camera and run update from the menu. when you finish with the first part of the update, delete that file from the root directory of the CF card and load part 2. Then run update from the menu again. If your top display reads "PC" your camera is still connected to the computer via a USB cable.</p>

<p>Many, many people think they're doing the firmware update properly only to find out they were not. Not to say you haven't but are you sure you've done it properly. You must download and save both A and B. Then format the card in the camera and copy ONLY A to the card root directory then follow the procedure outlined in the directions. After A is completed then format the card in the camera and copy ONLY B to the root directory of the card, turn the camera off and back on, repeat directions for A. It will not work if both A & B are copied to the card prior to initiating the upgrade.</p>

<p>Wayne & Don, thanks for your input.<br>

I did only copy file A to the card, but maybe not to the root directly. In fact, I missed that part of the directions and am not even certain how you copy only to the root. Will this work at all now if I unplug the camera and try it again or is off to the repair shop? Right now I'm feeling like I wouldn't do well on the show "Are you smarter than 5th grader."<br>

Thanks again.</p>

<p>Jeff,</p>

<p>Copying to the root directory just means copying the file to the top most level of the card. So if you are placing the firmware in a folder you are doing it wrong. <br>

As for whether or not your camera is hosed, I am not sure. My guess is you are still ok, but I have been wrong before. Maybe others have experience with this sort of thing.</p>

<p>Thanks to everyone for the input. You were right, Carl, I'm happy to say. I'll give a try another day when I've got more time but my mistake was loading the firmware into it's own folder. Moral of the story, I guess, is to make certain you understand the directions before launching into it.<br>

On another note, does the updated firmware (v 1.10) contain upgrades that are significant enough to make bothering with it worthwhile? Mabye I should have started with that question, eh? But I believe I've read somewhere in this forum that it is a good idea to keep the firmware up to date. Any thoughts?</p>

<p>let this kind of thing be a lesson. messing with firmware is serious stuff. you're not just screwing around with your computer that can have windows reinstalled with the click of a mouse. if you bust your firmware or interrupt it while it's installing on your camera, you've just bricked it and have a worthless piece of black plastic and rubber on your hands.</p>

<p>be careful upgrading firmware! take your time and follow the instructions.</p>