Feeding the Photographer

shydroxide

<p>You are not there to eat I refuse food only take water or a soda. I eat before the wedding if you take time to eat a meal during a wedding you should deduct that time from your bill. I saw two videographers chomping away at their food and missed the garter toss.<br />To me just because their is food there does not mean it should be provided to you. When I am hired to shoot sporting events I stand for 6 hours no food provided and it shouldn't be I'm a big boy and know to eat prior to the event.</p>

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I'm quite surprised at some of the responses in this thread. My rule of thumb is if the shooting day is 8 or more hours, I'm taking a 30 minute meal break. As far as weddings go, I think I've only had 3 in the last 3 years (and I did over 40 last year) where I didn't have a meal at the reception. One of those instances was a short shooting day, only about 6 hours. Maybe it's a Chicago thing, but it's generally expected that I'm sitting at a table with guests. <br>

I have to echo Ian's sentiment though; shooting during the whole reception? People with half-chewed food poking out of their smiles... That's attractive... :P As far detail shots; those are all taken before the dinner ever starts.</p>

<p>As soon as my B&G /guest are seated --I make my way to a back room to dine ---I arrange everything with the venue...if the client wishes not to pay --I pay for the meal myself or 99% of the time > the client has paid for a guaranteed attendance ---and I simply grab one thats available .....In the last few years, with budgets, I generally leave when the guest are seated ...no reception.</p>

<p>People need to eat and drink, does not matter if your working or having fun. There is a right moment for everything. I eat when everybody is eating, I will have one eye on the food and another on bride & groom, if something starts happening I will inmediatly stop what I'm doing and go do my job. I eat, drink, have fun and do my job. I will not go as far as to feel like a full guest but since I usually do get a very good relation with my bride, groom and all the main family there is no real problem for me and crew to work and enjoy a little.</p>

<p>Call it courtesy or a gesture of thanks for her hard work, I fed my photographer at my May 2008 wedding both lunch and dinner. (She worked from around 11-11). We had sandwiches in my hotel room as I was getting ready, and I offered her a seat with our guests at the reception. I really didn't care to have pictures of me forking food into my mouth and my guests to worry that they'd be caught with half a crab cake in the corner of their mouth. My photographer was beyond thankful; not only did she enjoy the food and got to recharge, she ended up having a great time with the guests. I pulled her aside at the start of the reception and asked her if she wanted to eat/was hungry and insisted she take a break. She commented to me later that it was one of the most enjoyable receptions she had ever been to. We couldn't have been happier with the results and continue to enjoy a working relationship with her.</p>

<p>I do ask for a meal at weddings I photograph. But, if your still checking this post, Steve, there are vendor meals. I don't really expect the couple to pay what their paying for guests for meal. Most places have cheaper vendor meals, like a sandwich and fries, for the photographers, videographers, and dj or band. They usually sit all the vendors at one table, which I prefer. I don't like sitting with guests when usually they serve vendors last, and we're all practically enhailing out food, so we can be ready when activities start up again. Another reason most photographers do request a meal, is because there often isn't a fast food joint around the corner where we can run quickly and get back. <br>

I was in a wedding when I was a teenager, and when some obnoxious guest came around taking pictures of all of us stuffing our faces with food, I was really annoyed! So, I show the bridal party and guests the courtesy of not doing what annoyed me. I've never once had a bride and groom complain that there wasn't any pictures of anyone with partially chewed food in their mouth. ha ha</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well I feel like contributing to this....<br>

2 Reasons you should feed your photographer without question....Although I don't request it, it's the right thing to do plus it's good manners.<br>

1. Do you get a lunch break at your 9 to5 job? Yes it's the law that a person have the opportunity to eat a lunch. Why is my job less important than yours.....I work all day, very hard. The least you could do is feed me, if you don't that's fine, but then I should be able to leave to go to McDonalds for 30minutes and eat.....now logically no one wants the photographer to leave and most photographers wouldn't do it because it kills the flow. So feed us and there is not an issue.A full happy photographer makes for awesome pictures.<br>

2. I am not your servant I am your friend, I deal with your stress, help with every strange thing that comes up on your day, hold your hand when your nervous, chase off the cousin you didn't invite and basically am your maid of honor for the day, plus try my best to capture every incredible moment of your most special day. We should be friends and you fed the rest of your friends....why would there be a question of feeding me.<br>

Maybe I'm different or because I live in a small town but my brides always offer. Sometimes I eat and sometimes I don't. My assistant gets sick if she doesn't eat so she always eats. I don't believe this should be such a big decision. </p>

<p>I make a point of telling people up front that they will never find me grazing when I should be capturing a moment.. but I also tell them that after 7 hours of constant shooting I may be getting a bit hungry and will only eat once guests have had their turn and once things have gotten to a point where I am not missing anything. And then I only take what I can quickly eat and get back to shooting. I certainly don't sit at a table and feast. More like grab a carrot stick and a glass of iced tea then shoot some more.. then maybe a meatball and a cheese square, then back to shooting. Usually the bride or groom have to insist I get something.<br>

Really, it is a good idea to eat BEFORE you start shooting... and eat something simple and not too filling. I go for small and high calory... usually a cheeseburger or something and an energy drink. Also keep a bottle or two of sportsdrink handy.</p>

<p>Ian</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>Yes! A meal is a necessity- shooting a wedding is about a 12 hour day for me and I get hungry. I only had one wedding where a meal was not offered and I needed to leave for fast food or pass out - I can't go 12 hours without food while working like mad! Also, it is nice to have a seat in the reception room where I can store my bags under the chair while I am working throughout the party.</p>