Question about the RZ67 cocking lever operation???

mike_tornero

<p>I purchased a used Mamiya RZ67 Profesional not the ProII from KEH.com and then purchased the 120 back and WLF seperately. When using the camera (film loaded) and pushing down on the cocking lever all the way forward I still get the orange light (the one on the right) indicating the shutter is not cocked. I then press the cocking lever forward again and I do not feel any tension till the very end. After cocking it twice only then will it fire. Even though I cocked it twice the film does not advance on the second stroke. this happens randomly sometimes I must cock it twice and others it will work fine after the first time. Should I be concerned about this? It doesnt mention this process in the manual and this is my first experience with this camera. If anyone knows about this process or has had experience with this I would like to know?<br>

Thank you, Mike.</p>

<p>Hi Mike, sorry to hear you are having trouble with the RZ67. I own the same camera. That process you describe does sound strange. It's difficult to know where to start. Here are some things I would check:<br>

1) on the right-hand side of the camera (as you are behind it) make sure that the switch on the side is in the straight up position-- <i>not</i> on the "R" or the "M" positions.<br>

2) Do you have a fresh battery in the camera?<br>

3) Look at the button on the front that you use to fire the shutter. There are three positions around this button. It should be set to the middle (white dot) position.<br>

4) Look on the barrel of your lens and find the socket for screwing in a cable release. In normal operation this silver rim of the socket is level with the surrounding black housing. If this rim is raised up (there might even be a red stripe visible) your lens and camera "thinks" that it's in mirror lock-up mode. For right now you don't want that. Ordinarily when you screw in a cable release on the lens the metal rim rides up slightly, but when the cable release is unscrewed the rim will retract as the the cable release is being unscrewed. But sometimes it gets "stuck" in the extended position anyway. If this has happened try screwing in a cable release into the lens and unscrewing it again to make the rim go back down.<br>

....<br>

If none of the above applies to you try this:<br>

Insert the darkslide into the 120 back. Remove the back from the camera. Remove the lens from the camera. Look at the lens. Can you see through it? i.e. is its shutter cocked? If it's cocked you should see right through the barrel. If it is not cocked,try cocking it by pushing down and rotating the pins on the mount. (It shows you how to do that in the manual, I think) <br>

You said you have film loaded in the back. Does the counter have a number on it yet. If not, turn the knob until you can't turn it anymore.<br>

Look at your now-naked camera body. Can you see all the way through it? If you can you need to cock the mirror. use the cocking lever on the side. Now mount the lens. Now mount the 120 back. Remove the dark slide. Try pressing the cocking lever... it may move a little bit, but not much... you should feel it catch. If you are able to move the cocking lever freely there is something wrong.<br>

OK, from where we left off... now try pressing the button to fire the camera. What happens? It should "take the picture". The view in the waistlevel-finder should now be blank. If you see any little LEDS in the viewfinder something is wrong. To prepare the camera to take the next picture all you should need to do is press the cocking lever all the way forward and down. Fire off another shot...<br>

Any help?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Jonathan- Thank you for providing me with numerous solutions and ways to work out the problem. I checked and double check all the things you mentioned and unfortunatly the problem still exists. I did notice that I would get a better chance of cocking both the shutter and advancing the film when I pushed the cocking lever in a certain manner. This is more of an annoyance to have to push the lever twice instead of once but the camera still works. <br>

Once again thank you very much you were a lot of help and I appreciate it.<br>

Mike.</p>

<p>Hi Mike,<br /> <br /> The answer to your question is that there is almost certainly something wrong, but is it the back or the body.<br /> <br /> If you take the film back off and the lens off you should now be able to action the wind on lever. The lever should travel smoothly with only the slightest whisper from the connecting pins that connect to the back. No hesitation or grumbles. If this is the case put the unloaded back on and try that. Now you should hear the gears that drive the film but it should be smooth and free running.<br /> <br /> Mike the RZ is one the best cameras you can buy it is worth getting it right, come back to us and let us know the answer.<br /> <br /> Best Regards<br /> <br /> Rob</p>