Lens hood for Icarex Ultron

<p>I've just bought a really nice condition Icarex with a 50mm f1.8 Ultron from MW Classic. The Ultron has a concave front element with a bayonet thread and I would like to get a lens hood for it. <br>

From searching around the web, I think the ultron is a B50 bayonet mount. Is this the same as the Hasselblad B50 mount? I'm not concerned about finding the correct Icarex lens hood, just something that works. <br>

Any ideas?</p>

<p>Andrew</p>

<p>Well, I've got one of these lesnses but never bothered with a lens shade. You are correct that it is a B50 mount but I'm not sure if its the same B50 as Hassy. There are Icarex filters occasionally listed for auction. Or try to borrow a B50 Hassy filter to test the fit. Then you might try and find one and adapt another makeer's lens shade to it. I have never seen a lens shade advertised for this lens. Its a very good lens.</p>

<p>Thanks, r.c. it looks like it's a great lens and I'm certainly going to start shooting without a lens hood but, in the long run, I would like to get one.</p>

<p>BTW, I've just been told that it's not the same as a Hassy B50 -darn!</p>

<p>Mind you, it's a nice looking camera with a very nice looking lens..........</p>

<p> </p>

<p>R.C. I've got an Icarex BM which it doesn't have a removable prism. The lens says Carl Zeiss and Ultron on it. As I said before, the lens has a concave front element which means it's the original Voigtlander design. I haven't checked to see whether the meter still works. To be honest, I wouldn't use it.</p>

<p>I had the chance to buy a 35mm in BM mount off the guys who sold me the camera but I just don't need it. It's the Ultron which really intrigues me. It enjoys a very good reputation and I'm looking forward to seeing the results from the first roll.</p>

<p>How are you getting on with your Icarex? </p>

<p>They are fun to use and the Ultron is a great lens but I would rate my Yashica TL Super and Pentax S2 as better cameras in terms of design and build quality. Although they are in great condition none are shelf queens as part of the fun of collecting is using them. One of the Icaexes had a desilvered prism when I got it. The prism bottom has a convex bottom and I replaced it with one from a Pentax ME which also has a convex bottom. I do like the 45 degree split image in the vewfinder.</p>

<p>The little I've read about the Icarex suggests that it's not one of the best SLRs ever made. However, I am fortunate in that the previous owner took particularly good care of this camera or hardly used it. I've been walking around with it in the snow (London's heaviest for 18 years) and I think the viewfinder takes a bit of getting used to. Nevertheless, I am really pleased with it and I'm getting a kick out of the relative rarity of the Ultron. Of course, rarity does not mean it's good or special but it makes me happy and proves I'm a lens geek!</p>

<p>I definitely want a lens shade for it, though. I've got a filter to protect it but it's the hood that I think will help matters. Time to venture out into the snow again........</p>

<p>Groan! My first roll of film with the Icarex and I managed, somehow, to wind on the roll until the film snapped out of the cassette. I've never done this before and I'm slightly puzzled how it happened. The film was Fuji Superia 1600. </p>

<p>Luckily for me, there wasn't anything of great significance on that roll. I blame that concave front element.......</p>

<p> </p>