Is D90 too much for a beginner?

tobias_yao

<p>Thank all of you for the pertinent advices. By reading down this thread I realized I have learnt a lot from here-even before I picked up a book to read about serious photography or bought the D90 camera. Now I have my mind set and I look forward to sharing my experiences with you later on.</p>

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>The concept that you "can't" turn the pop up flash off is ridiculous, and easily illustrates the lack of knowledge of the poster. If you can't divine how to do it, take a look in the manual before misinforming others. If you like to shoot in "Auto" try the mode setting "Auto - flash off." That should solve your greatest gripe.</p>

<p>As for lacking the ease of use of an F3 - hilarious! Let's see, you want a manual camera? Set it for manual, and fire away! There is a simple dial (remember the F3?) you rotate it to adjust shutter speed. How much more simple can it get?</p>

<p>I have a D90 and love it, had it now for about 3 months or so. I am a Data manager for an oil n gas company by trade but have my own part-time business on the side for weekends and nights doing portrats/fashion/glamour shots and some times weddings but i am trying to steer clear of them. The D90 works perfectly for me, its a fantastic camera. <br>

We talk pro cameras and amature cameras. I class myself as an amature photography (need a lot more practise), yet I get paid for some of my photo work, should I then be classed as a pro photographer that uses a D90?<br>

Like many peoples say, its about the lenses but the camera helps to a certain point to. As for the D90 being too hard for a beginner I say NO...it's not, its quite easy really, the menus are dead simple and what you don't understand (which some of it I don't) then refer to the manual which i think is pretty well written. If you start at a D90 level then your set for a long time as it takes "pro" as we like to say photos. (although I totally agree with the above post from A. Valerio, more or less any of the Nikon cameras can take pro style photos with the right technique)<br>

PS always buy a 50mm f1.8 or f1.4 to add to your Nikon, they are brilliant!</p>

• 1 month later...

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=4859201">Tobias Yao</a><br>

Just go get it, I am going to get it in next two weeks.D90 with 18-200 VR ....(Multipurpose use- is this combination ok?)<br>

Could somebody suggest me which lense is best for the photography of wrist watches(Hand Made Craft Watch), silver jewelery and fashion products made out of Japanese Kimono. I use D40X and now familiar with Nikon products, help.<br>

DeviJang</p>