Remote shutter release

walter_foscari

<p>It is called an air cable release. An air hose with a tip like a regular cable release and a rubber bulb on the other end. Sometimes a foot bulb (step on it). The ones I have have a 20 foot hose. Have a few still in packaging that I would have put up for sale if I thought there would be any interest. Didn't think anyone was looking for them. These may still be available at Porters online. They usually have things like this. </p>

<p>I own and use a "Kenlock Radio Remote Control". This is a 27Hz wireless system consisting of a small handheld transmitter and a receiver box around the size of two boxes of cigarettes. The receiver has a solenoid screw socket for a cable release. Some telescoping aerials are provided for increased range. The receiver with aerials connected is quite unwieldly compared with modern radio remotes for digital. The solenoid action is quite violent, so careful taping/velcroing is required to place it away from an LF rig. It easily fires a copal shutter. Conventional and bulb settings are available. An electric connection can be used to toggle a tape recorder(!). Range is similar to a cheap radio controlled toy - easily 25m. Unfortunately the signal is very susceptible to being blocked by buildings and vegetation.</p>

<p>These remote kits occasionally turn up on the auction site. Prices vary wildly. Mine has the original box and instructions. I would guess they were made in the 1970s to early 1980s. There must be other similar products from the same era but unfortunately I don't know of any.</p>

<p>If you are capable with simple electronics a "not working" kit might be very useful for parts. The most valuable components of this remote are the solenoid, cable release connection, and supplied cables. When mine eventually breaks I will remove these parts and rig a connection to e.g. a pocket wizard system.</p>

<p>Paul,<br>

Could you post a picture of the solenoid end? Ive seen a lot of plans on the net for remote triggers based on a digi cam but im thinking of modifying them for my large format 4x5 lenses.<br>

The big problem ive had is sourcing the solenoid. I don't really know what im looking for but a picture would help. In my research I have found out that a micro servo, like the ones used for model airplanes might also work for triggering the manual release on a Copal. The mounting of the servo is the issue.<br>

-ian</p>

<p>Ian,<br /> <br /> There isn't much to see without a complete disassembly. The solenoid looks to be a regular "push pin" type. It is not a typical R/C servo.<br>

<br /> The cable releases that come with the kit have been converted: instead of a regular manual plunger release at the non-lens end there is a threaded fitting. This screws into the case of the receiver lined up with the solenoid. I think this is the trick to making your own remote release: find a way of solidly connecting or adapting a regular plunger release cable to a fitting lined up with your solenoid or servo.</p>

You may wish to take a look at this thread: http://www.photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00DD6V

. This fellow (actually one of my favorite photographers on this site) built a

tethered solenoid relase for his MF outfit. I think he was going to continue the project and make

it wireless. Wouldn't hurt to ask him, but I don't think he visits the site too much anymore. Too bad! --Rex

<p>The air release described by Mr Ohlson is the simplist solution. If you need more than 20 feet of distance, use 1/4" agricultural drip line as an extension. (The O.D of the air release fittings and the I.D. of the drip line will give you a tight fit--just plug them together.) I have been using a 40' line for quite some time. (20' commercial air release + 20' of drip line.) Total cost: under $15.</p>

<p>Rex,<br>

Thanks so much for the link to the other thread! Thats exactly what ive been looking for. I sent an email to Walter to see if he could send me me the part# for the solenoid.<br>

Thats seems to be the hardest thing to find. You need one that pushes with just the correct amount of force or you can break the shutter. but too little and it either wont trip or it would be unreliable.<br>

Thanks again.</p>

<p>Decades ago Speed Graphic front shutters were often tripped by a solenoid powered by the flash gun. These solenoids operated on two or three flashlight batteries. I've recently used one operated by an electrolytic capacitor charged to about 12 volts. This was to permit an unattended camera to fire once without running down a battery or burning out a solenoid. These solenoids may be available on ebay.</p>

<p>If you have view camera lenses in Rollei Linear Motor shutters, Horseman ISS shutters, the Schneider electronic or the Prontor Magnetic shutter then the answer is yes. Rollei shutters could be easily fired with the Mamiya IR remote. The other can be easily adapted to fire via IR and all could fire via radio and most could use the cordless digital releases..</p>

<p>If you have lenses in Copal, Compur, Seiko, Prontor, Prontor Professional, Copal Press, Compound, Ilex, etc. then no, there is no off the shelf way to fire them wirelessly.</p>