<p>I have made the jump to a Mac and need some advise on synchronising to a backup HD.<br>

On Windows I used a program (syncback) that could sync between two directories and modify each accordingly.<br>

What program do you use to look at the files properties and overwrite or leave as necessary?<br>

I don't want to just keep overwriting my directory on the external HD.<br>

BR,<br />Warren</p>

<p>I am a long-time Mac user and have tried several. I have used Tri-Backup (http://www.tri-edre.com/english/tribackup.html) for years. Excellent program that offers flexibility as to how you backup. At work, I even use it to back-up key files on a Dell Windows 2003 server with a RAID setup over a network via an iMac to external hard drives after repeat tape drive failures gave me no sense of security. </p>

<p>look at synk and chronosync on the mac for that kind of folder synchronization (which really should not be confused w/ the idea of backup or archiving the data).</p>

<p>also, superduper which makes a clone of your hard disk (which comes in VERY handy).</p>

<p>Do you really want to synch the disks or do you want to back them up? On my Macs I use a program called Super Duper to back up all my drives. It's free if you want to start from scratch each time (hours for a 500G disk) and costs in the $27 range for a key that allows you to do incremental backups (minutes). These run really quickly. I know quite a few other Mac users who love it as well.<br>

Good luck.<br>

Eric</p>

<p>Thanks Gents.<br>

I am after a sync program. I have an existing structure on an external HD. When I add images on my Mac, I want to do a sync and just copy the relevant images. Also, if I remove images from the external HD, they will then be removed from my Mac. I do not want to perform a back up. I have been reading about synk & chronosync and they sound very promising.<br>

Cheers,<br /> Warren</p>

<p>There are a number of excellent backup solutions on the Mac.</p>

<p>Perhaps the first choice is to use the Time Machine application that is part of the newest versions of Mac OS. It will back up your main drive and any attached external drives to a backup drive - automatically, and incrementally. In addition, it archives previous states of your drive so that you can retrieve, for example, a file in the state it was in last Friday and 9:00 a.m. It operates almost invisibly in the background once you have it set up.</p>

<p>Being appropriately paranoid when it comes to backup strategies I do not rely solely on Time Machine. I also make a second backup using the excellent "SuperDuper!" software once per week, also automatically. This program can be set to backup only the files that have been change, and it can create a fully bootable replica of your main drive. Having two backups made with different applications decreases the chances that a backup error could ruin all versions of your backup files.</p>

<p>Continuing with the theme of "appropriate paranoia," I also make a third backup every few weeks using Carbon Copy Cloner on yet another drive. This drive is stored at an off-site location.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>I use <a href="http://www.lacie.com/silverkeeper/"> Silverkeeper </a> ; it's free, and it works. If you set it up correctly, it can even keep a bootable copy of your internal drive uptodate.<br /> (I think I used the <a href="http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENTATION/DARWIN/Reference/ManPages/man8/asr.8.html"> asr restore</a> command for the initial creation of the copy, but it's been a while...)</p>

<p>Warren,</p>

<p>I am sure many of these programs will work.<br>

Time machine seems to have initial bugs fixed - but<br>

on retrieval you have to worry about which version<br>

of a file (that may have undergone several changes<br>

in the meantime) you really want.</p>

<p>The wonderful thing about the Mac is it has a unix OS underneath<br>

and so amazingly simple, precise and fast programs are available:</p>

<p>Thus, for example, to make an initial backup from your subdirectory called<br>

say, " Pictures_home" to a directory "pictures_copy" on the external drive<br>

the hard drive (mounted probably as /media/backup/)<br>

in a terminal window type in the commands</p>

<p> mkdir /media/backup/pictures_copy<br>

<br /> cp -a /home/yourusername/Pictures_home /media/backup/pictures_copy</p>

<p>Then when you want to make a subsequent backup that deletes files from<br>

the external drive that are no longer on the Mac as well as update additions./changes<br>

type in a terminal the command</p>

<p>rsync -a --delete /home/yourusername/Pictures_home /media/backup/pictures_copy</p>

<p>This is infinitely adaptable of course and can be made as sophisticated as you desire.<br>

To check the exact name of the external hard drive you can first type in the command</p>

<p>mount</p>

<p>If this is something you want to pursue then just google rsync and more info<br>

than you need will come up.</p>