New 50D vs. Used 1Ds Mk II - I don't know what to choose!

fj5

<p>Hello everyone!</p>

<p>I've been reading forums and reviewing both these bodies side by side and I'm still torn as to what I should do for my second body upgrade primarily for wedding photography (http://fj5.cjb.net/).</p>

<p>I used to shoot with two 10D bodies but have recently upgraded one of them to a 5D (Mk I). I'm looking to upgrade the other one now.</p>

<p>My current lenses:<br>

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8<br /> Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM<br /> Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM<br /> Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM<br /> Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM<br /> Canon FD 100mm f/4 Macro</p>

<p>I can get a brand new 50D with grip (crop for longer reach with my 70-200, new processor, bigger screen, higher iso, live view, sensor clean, 3" lcd over the 2")</p>

<p>or</p>

<p>spend about $1K more and get a used 1Ds Mk II (more solid build, weatherproof, full frame, 100% coverage, 45 AF points, CF + SD, all the wonders of the 1 series)</p>

<p>Any input? Advice? Can someone make sense of this for me?<br>

<br /> <br /> Is the $1K price difference worth it considering the newer technology and extra bells and whistles of the 50D? (fwiw, I never use onboard flash)</p>

<p><br /> Any insight from fellow wedding photographers as to what they would choose?</p>

<p>THANK YOU SO MUCH!</p>

<p>1Ds for IQ for sure. The 16mp FF will give better IQ(not resolution of pixel density perse) but actual IQ. DR and overall IQ will be far better than the 50D.</p>

<p>The 50D is better to me only because of the high res. 3" LCD. Its nice and very welcome upgrade. 1DsII has old LCD. If you can live with that, 1Ds, if not 5D2 maybe.</p>

<p>Another vote for the 1Ds II here.<br>

It is a much better camera in almost every aspect. Remember that the LCD screen doesn't take the shot, it's the sensor that matters. With the excellent AF system of the 1Ds II, all you really need to review is the histogramm and the 1Ds IIs screen is absolutely fine for that.</p>

<p>Even your 5D might not see much use any more once you'll have the 1Ds II.</p>

<p>I would agree fully on the 1DS MK11, I bought one when my MK111 waited for repairs and it is my main camera without exception. Better than the 1DMK111 and my 5D and I have had a lot of work where I was using 2 camera's at the same shoot.<br>

Take Care, Pete</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>There's nothing at all wrong with the idea of getting a 1Ds, but....</p>

<p>You already have a good, solid full frame camera. Using a crop sensor camrea with it you will leverage "more" out of your lens kit. If you didn't already have the 5D, I'd say yes, get the 1Ds. Or, if you were considering replacing the 5D, I'd say sure.</p>

<p>But, in this case I think a 1.6X cropper would be more useful, at least for me.</p>

<p>By the way, personally I think a 30D or 40D compliments the classic 5D better than the 50D, with the 30D being nearly identical in layout and handling. Any of these will be a big jump up from your 10D in many respects (not that the 10D is a bad camera at all... I still have one myself, as a backup to my two primary DSLRs).</p>

<p>I use two cameras simultaneously most of the time for work, with two different lenses fitted, and prefer that they be as similar as possible (in my case, it's same identical model so that switching between them is as seamless a transition as possible. I don't want to have to stop and think about different controls, etc.</p>

<p>Thank you to all for your responses and advice.<br>

<br />I just picked up the 1-Ds Mk II last night and after holding this camera and trying it out, I don't believe I have it in me to let it go. The Mk I was one of the items on my dream list over 5 years ago and I was in even more awe when the II came out. I never thought I'd actually own one. Now I must really go out and shoot and make it all back with weddings. :p<br>

<br />I think another reason why I am leaning towards the 1Ds Mk II is because it was a real steal. I couldn't believe just how awesome of a deal it was. It definitely got me thinking if it was one of those "too good to be true" deals but no, after checking it out, everything was perfect. <br /> <br>

Anyway, now poses a good question... 5D or 50D. A few of you brought up a really good point about maximizing the range of my lenses with a crop. But I'm not sure if it is something that would really affect me unless I find I need more reach with my 70-200.<br>

<br />Would image quality between crop 50D and ff 5D really differ? I could just put the 70-200 on my 1 and crop afterwards, no? With 16 MP?<br>

<br />I've not had the 70-200 long enough to really see if the 200 on my 1.6x 10D was a necessity.<br>

<br />At this point, I don't think I'll ever have two identical bodies for my system, I just can't afford two 1's. Now, I can still get my hands on a 50D... just a question if I'd keep it and sell my 5D, or just turn away the 50D and keep what I have now.<br>

<br />Any further insight on this new challenge? </p>

<p>More thoughts:<br>

<br />Points for 5D<br />FF<br />eyecup clearance<br />viewfinder coverage<br />bigger/brighter viewfinder<br />never use onboard flash<br />primarily portraiture and wedding work<br />ff noise vs. crop noise<br />don't ever use burst<br>

<br />Points for 50D<br />1.6x for my 70-200<br />3" lcd<br />better weather resistance<br />digic 4<br />auto sensor clean<br />$400 cheaper<br />noise control @ higher ISO</p>

<p>Possible combos for weddings:<br>

<br />1Ds + 70-200<br />5D + 16-35<br>

<br />1Ds + 16-35<br />5D + 24-70<br>

<br />1Ds + 85<br />5D + 16-35 or 24-70<br>

<br />1Ds + 24-70<br />50D + 70-200<br>

<br />1Ds + 16-35<br />50D + 70-200<br>

<br />1Ds + 16-35<br />50D + 24-70</p>

<p>I think having a crop camera isn't a horrible thought. Ideally, this would be a a 1dmk3 and a 1dsmk3 combination, but that's an easy $11,000, and honestly, if money is an object, (and it is) the top end cameras aren't going to take better pictures for you.<br /> <br /> 40D + 5D or 5D2 is a fantastic combination. 40D carries the 24-70 (yielding a nice 40-112 adjusted focal length) and the 5D2 carries the 17-40 or 16-35. Perfect.</p>