Better ISO performance with sRAW

brian_schiel

<p>I wouldn't call that better performance if you lose half your resolution... At best it would be like downsizing the full image, you'll lose noise together with the small details. You should try it but you can probably get a cleaner image by running some noise reduction software on your full image before you downsize it.</p>

<p>If you need to make large prints noise will be even more apparent with a smaller file. If you want a small file, shoot full size and down size later. You can use additional NR if needed.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>sRAW, sRGB, huge LCD screens, and a few other "advances" are things that I just don't understand. I feel these are things to stay away from unless you actually know some reason to use them. If you don't already know that reason, you can't "afford" them. Just MHO.<br>

What could possibly be better about throwing away data? If you save RAW, you can always shrink it later, can't you?</p>

<p>I have read somewhere that sRAW is better because your sensor does not need Bayer Interpolation at that size. (Using 4 pixels per pixel so to speak. One for each color.))</p>

<p>Whether it's true or not I cannot tell but after a lot of reactions that tell you differently I had to mention it.</p>

<p>Regards, Matthijs.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Sharpness of smaller image sizes</strong> <br>

Bravo! As hoped, lower resolution files get sharper because Bayer Interpolation is no longer needed.<br>

Unlike Nikons, which don't get any sharper at 100% when set to smaller resolution files, M and L files form the 5D mark II are super, duper sharp. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Uhm... I read it at Ken Rockwell's site which makes it slightly suspect but possibly true.</p>

<p>For those who don't believe in Ken:<br>

http://www.bahneman.com/liem/blog/article.php?story=Ken_Rockwell_Facts</p>

<p>(-: Matthijs.<br /> </p>

<p>I think "no Bayer interpolation" is wrong! Think about it. The sensor is PHYSICALLY made with the Bayer pattern. With the Bayer pattern, interpolation will be used, whether it can be a lot, or less, it's a different story.</p>

<p>With more resolution, there are more points to do averaging (interpolation,) therefore sharpness becomes less, but higher accuracy because there are more points.</p>

<p>You will gain something for paying a price of another.</p>

<p>About Canon and its sRAW files, I really don't understand why they do put some efforts to design this feature. They (Canon) should put their efforts into thinking of designing 2 CF slots in the 1D series camera, instead of 1 CF and 1 SD. As far as storing a file into either card, it's a non-issue. For the serious/pro shooters, they have more CFs than SDs. For beginners, they don't know which type of card they should choose, so 1 CF and 1 SD make more sense. For continuous shooting (without interuption) means that the serious/pro shooters need to stock the SDs.</p>