How to lighten/improve P67 Dark Viewfinder/Focussing Screen ?

rickbehl

<p>Hi all,<br>

I am a new Pentax 67 owner (that's the middle version, not the earlier 6x7 or later 67ii). I'm just starting to get familiar with the camera after making a decision to compliment my existing Nikon film cameras for landscape photography. Together with the body I bought the 55mm/f4 lens which I had read was one of the sharpest available for this camera.</p>

<p>I have a couple of questions which I will break up into seperate threads hopefully to make it easier for the right answers to find them...</p>

<p>So, my first question is regarding the viewfinder/focussing screen. I have noticed that it looks pretty dark especially when I compare it to my Nikon 35mm bodies (eg, F6). The central 'spot' or focussing area is not too bad but the rest of the viewfinder is dark enough to make focussing a little tricky especially in low-light landscape scenarios. Does anyone have any advice about that can be done about this ?</p>

<p>I have seen that it may be possible to change the focussing screen but the replacement product I have seen mentioned elsewhere does seem very expensive (USD 200+) so I would prefer a low cost solution if there is one out there ?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance,<br>

Rick</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice Robert but actually I just bought the 67. At the time of purchase I had the choice between the 6x7, 67 and 67ii. I wanted MLU but didn't necessarily want to pay the premium for the 67ii (which was almost double the cost of the 67) hence I chose the 67. For the most part I don't think there are any major features which I'm missing but it would be easier if that focussing screen was a touch brighter....</p>

<p>Rgds<br>

Rick</p>

<p>Thanks Robert. Maybe that's the problem. I'm probably trying to make too many comparisons indoors and not enough time going out shooting... With landscapes I would assume that using infinity or hyperfocal focussing probably would make the viewfinder slightly less important anyhow... (I have started a seperate forum thread on optimal focussing for sharpness using the P67)...<br>

<br /> Thanks<br>

Rick</p>

<p>Rick, congrats on your new rig! That's a fine camera and fun to use. I have the same lens, and it's indeed a great one. I will guess that a lot of what you're seeing is due to the fact the lens is f/4 and a wide angle too. It's like trying to use a 28mm f/4 on your 35mm SLR... dim and a bit difficult especially in low light.<br>

There have been aftermarket screens from Beattie and Maxwell; none others known. I have a Beattie screen in one of my P6x7 bodies, and it made no visible (to me anyway) difference in the brightness, but did add the grid pattern I wanted. The P6x7 and P67 should have the screen installed by a technician... And in my case the tech told me the meter did not require recalibration after the new screen went in. Hmmm, about the claims for a brighter screen! (The different incompatible screens for the 67II drop in from the top, an easy user job.)</p>

<p>Rick,<br />I am in agreement with all the previous posts. I have, and use all four incarnations of the 6x7 (non MLU), 6x7 MLU, 67 and 67II. They are all a dream and I am looking for another, as mint as possible 67II. Yes the 67II screen is a touch brighter. I find that the Pentax focussing magnifier assists me to some degree when the image is a little darker. I use one successfully with the 6x7 bellows when the image can darken down considerably at longer extensions.This may be personal as I also found one to be helpful on some 35mm systems. They don't cost a fortune - so worth a try- you can always sell it on if it doesn't work for you. Obviously the problem is the f4.0 of the lens - but not much you can do about that.</p>

<p>Paul, can you tell me a little more about the focussing magnifier. Is there a specific one for the 67 ? I checked ebay and it seems there are a few on there but they don't specify whether they are for the 67. Most seem to mention the spotmatic ?<br>

Thanks again,<br>

Rick</p>

<p>Rick,<br>

Yes there is a specific one for the 6x7 (and the same one for the 67). Have a look here <a href="http://www.samys.com/product_detail.php?item=13076">http://www.samys.com/product_detail.php?item=13076</a> to see what it looks like. I do not think this (or any supplier) will be able to offer a new one (although it might be worth an email). A search on ebay 'pentax 67 magnifier' will usually find one if it is for sale. I just search all Pentax 6x7 and Pentax 67 if I am looking - usually never more than ~160 items to check. These turn up on a fairly regular basis - so you shouldn't have to wait long ( About $120.00 US is about right). It can be fitted on the finder permanently if you like because the magnifying component is hinged and flips up to allow a view of the complete screen. A really nice accessory as it is a really positive confirmation of precise focus even with much brighter f2.8 lenses.<br>

Regards<br>

Paul<br>

</p>

<p>Rick,<br>

Yes there is a specific one for the 6x7 (and the same one for the 67). Have a look here <a href="http://www.samys.com/product_detail.php?item=13076">http://www.samys.com/product_detail.php?item=13076</a> to see what it looks like. I do not think this (or any supplier) will be able to offer a new one (although it might be worth an email). A search on ebay 'pentax 67 magnifier' will usually find one if it is for sale. I just search all Pentax 6x7 and Pentax 67 if I am looking - usually never more than ~160 items to check. These turn up on a fairly regular basis - so you shouldn't have to wait long ( About $120.00 US is about right). It can be fitted on the finder permanently if you like because the magnifying component is hinged and flips up to allow a view of the complete screen. A really nice accessory as it is a really positive confirmation of precise focus even with much brighter f2.8 lenses.<br>

Regards<br>

Paul<br>

</p>

<p>Great ! Thanks Paul, I'll be rooting around the 2nd hand stores here in Hong Kong tomorrow to see if I can find one of these magnifiers... If I find one I'll try and report back here on how it works out. Thanks again to everyone for their help!<br>

Good Light !<br>

Rick</p>

• 2 years later...