Comparing Bogen 055CX3 to Gitzo GT-2531

Mike_R1664876643

<p>Tonight I was out shooting with my Bogen 3021 and my hands nearly froze to it in the 15 degree temperatures! I think it's time for a carbon fiber tripod. I've been comparing these two models. The Gitzo is $519 versus $349 for the Bogen. I noticed the load capacity is 10lbs higher with the Gitzo, but from the looks of them on B&H's site they seem to be comparable in size & weight. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a camera store to check them out. Does anyone have experience with these two - any opinions on one vs. the other? My heaviest lens is an 80-200 f2.8, but I may add a 300 f4 in the future. </p>

<p>Hello Mike,</p>

<p>I have a Gitzo 2530 which is the same as the 2531 except it doesn't go quite as low to the ground. You certainly won't be disappointed with either one. I use it with a Canon 5D + 300 f4 + 1.4X with no stability problems. I had a Bogen 3021 for over twenty years and it never let me down, but as the years passed it got heavier and heavier! The Gitzo weighs only 3.2 lb and coupled with an Acratech GV2, totals only 4 lb, two thirds the weight of the Bogen 3021 legs alone.<br>

The Gitzo 2531 legs are almost a pound lighter than the Manfrotto 055CX3 and would be a lot easier on your back, if not your wallet! Of course if you are young and fit this may not bother you. I know the Gitzo is expensive but it would probable last you a lifetime.<br>

Having said all that, if your future plans include a 300 f2.8 or maybe a 500 f4 I would recommend one of the Gitzo 3530 series.</p>

<p>John, the Gitzo 3530 is nice but it's a bigger tripod than I think I want for all-around use. I travel occassionally, so want something that's not too heavey and fits in my luggage without a problem. I've been using my Bogen 3001 for travel, but if I get a good CF I'm sure I'll want to take it instead. I have noticed since my original post that the Bogen 055 is a little shorter than the Gitzo when folded according to the specs.</p>

<p>I'm with you that the Bogen 3021 has gotten heavier over time. I've had mine for 10 years or so. Another thing I don't like about it is the levers for tightening the legs. With my arthritis those are getting harder to use. I like the snap locks on my Bogen 3001 better. I've never used the twist (collar) locks on the Gitzos, so don't know how those compare for ease of use and quickly setting it up. And I've also had situations where the leg sections on my 3021 have fallen off due to the screws loosening - that's aggravating. </p>

<p>I did have pipe insulation wrapped with camo tape on my 3021 for a few years but then took it off last summer just because I didn't care much for the looks. But I knew I would regret it come winter. I'm really leaning towards the Gitzo 2531 now, seeing that B&H has instant rebates on them until Jan 31. </p>

<p>Hi:<br>

I have very similar requirements (Canon 5D with the longest lens 300 f4). I had narrowed it down to the same two; Bogen 055PRO and the Gitzo Mountaineer 2431/2541. Any thoughts on 3-section (? more stable, quicker) vs 4-section (more compact) ?<br>

I am also looking for a good ballhead and had picked RRS (ReallyRightStuff) BH-40 rather than the Arcaswiss. Anybody with any experience with this particular head?</p>

<p>I have used both snap type (Manfrotto) and collar leg locks (Gitzo) and prefer the Gitzo version. They are intrinsically quiet, self-adjusting and more rugged (I've broken several clamp levers by dropping a tripod). They don't snag on branches or your clothing, and don't pinch your fingers in a moment of carelessness.</p>

<p>The latest generation of Gitzo "G-Lock" collars have non-rotating legs (internally keyed) and agressive tapered bushings that hold with little torque and get even tighter under load. The bushings are attached to the collars and are forcibly withdrawn, otherwise they would jam*.</p>

<p>Gitzo uses a bushing at the top of each sliding leg section that has about 0.005" clearance - a loose, running fit in machinist's terms. This means each section is held at two points - the top of the leg and at the locking collar - making a very stiff connection. Although the joints don't wobble, more sections means thinner legs, which can flex more. I find that a 4-section #2 sized, aluminum tripod is too wiggly, but OK with carbon fiber. Gitzo CF tripods are about as stiff as the next size larger aluminum version. The setup/takedown time is trivial, especially since you don't always extend all the sections.</p>

<p>* If collars are harder to loose than to tighten, this guarantees a jam at some point in time. I have never observed this tendency in older Gitzo tripods, in the legs or the column. Jams occur when the tapered bushing doesn't release when the collar is backed off, usually because the tapered part of the bushing engages the leg. The G-Lock collars can't jam because the bushing is attached to the collar.</p>

<p>Salmon, another thing that's pushing me towards the Gitzo is the length of the center post. From the pictures of both tripods, it looks like the Gitzo has a shorter center columnn, which means it should go closer to the ground even with the center post. And the specs seem to support that too. The Bogen 055CX3 height w/o column extended is 53.5", and extended its 69.7, while the Gtizo is 54.3"/63.4". Also the Gitzo has a "ground level set". Not exactly sure how that works, but looks like another advantage to the Gitzo. But at $200 more, I guess it should have some advantages.</p>

• 10 months later...
<p>The Gitzo twist locks, like all twist locks, jam up with grit or sand or solid debris. They are cleanable but disassembly during the day is a big nuisance. In clean setups, or studios, no problem. I have two older Gitzos, went with Manfrotto flip locks and no more problems. I carry the Manfrotto most of the time just from the car to wherever I am working and no problems with the locks catching on anything. On the infrequent times I am packing (LowePro backpack), the tripod is attched to the rear of the pack and no problems. In the stores (where I tried to test them)I thought the Manfrotto and Gitzo CF pods, similar height and leg thickness,were equally rigid.</p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>Thanks for the input Stanley. It has been nearly a year since I posted my original question, and I still haven't made a decision! I'm still shooting with my Bogen 3021, which is like carrying around three sticks of ice this time of year. I've been going back & forth between the Gitzo 2531 and 3541LS, but your post has got me thinking again about the Manfrotto. </p>