How much importance give you to the beauty of the model, wenn you are take a portrait?

rdo

<blockquote>

<p>If you are taking a portrait how much importance give you to the beauty of the model?<br>

I will be also very interesant to see portrait, that show more of joy and personality als beauty.<br>

Or very spontanius reaction of the people and children in from of a camera, with show other kind of beauty inside of them.</p>

<p>Thank you very much for your interest and commentary or pictures which you like to show are welcome.....! </p>

<p>Ricardo<br /> </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Do you mean physical beauty? I shot a woman yesterday who was truly beautiful.. inside and out. I think it depends on the shoot that I am doing. Sometimes I just want a gorgeous model (guy or girl). Other times I want something more human and accessible.. It just depends what you are going for.</p>

<p>There are just so many cliche answers because we all want to be proper and politically correct. The reason I shoot a flower because the flower is pretty. The flower has no personality. The reason I shoot a sunset because the sunset is beautiful. The reason I shoot a model is because the model is good looking. We are human beings we like to see pretty things. Once in a while you will see some street photos of some stranger down and out. Those images are there to shock our emotions they are not there to please us.</p>

<p>I enjoy shooting 'average' people. I think it makes me think harder about how to light and pose them.</p>

<p>I am a professional portrait photographer, so I don't choose models. One of the most rewarding shoots I did was of a young woman with a mullet haircut from a poorer area that brought one t shirt that had her school logo on it and wore no makeup. I did some rebrandt style lighting and made her glow. I used carefully placed hairlights and just a touch of fill from a reflector to slim her and show the beautiful color of her red hair, but hide the not so appealing cut. Her family ended up ordering 3 16x20's (mom and both grandparents) because it was so stunning. </p>

<p>I feel pride in being able to take an 'average' person and show them in their best. I always get much more satisfaction in those shoots then I do with the glam girls who are perfect. </p>

<p>I do feel like it depends on the purpose of yuor shot, though. If I was selling an idea and not a portrait, I may have more specific desires for what the model looks like.</p>

<p>Hansen,<br>

You seem to be saying that beauty is either/or i.e. beautiful/ugly. It is not a binary world it is an analog one. If you look at the original post, you will see that beauty can be shown in many ways other than just prettiness. Does the beautiful sunset make you happy, exalted or sad? Portraits are made to evoke an emotional response. Beauty evokes only one response of many. And, of course, what you find beautiful, I may not.<br>

Howard</p>

<p>I've had some rather normal subjects turn out to be very photogenic, and some pretty subjects pose some interesting challenges when certain features showed up more than expected in the camera.</p>

<p>I think when you manage to get someone acting how they really are (usually by catching them off guard), you get much more alluring pictures, whether they're "pretty" or "average". So I guess it's not so much how attractive they are in their looks as much as how attractive their essense is when brought out during shooting. And wow, that sounds pretty fluffy, but it's true :)</p>

<p>Howard, you said it exactly. What I find beautiful you may not. What you find beautiful I may not. So yes I love to shoot pretty things. At least they are pretty to me. They can be ugly in another standard.<br>

So my point was that we shoot because we want to shoot. We can bring out the beauty in what ever we shoot. Some are better than others. I don't purposely shoot ugly thinks to provoke others. Some photographers do. That's their beauty, I am just not a part of that.<br>

It is very seldom we find someone coerced into shooting something they will throw up after. Unless maybe a war correspondent or reality journalism.<br>

Photography is an art and an illusion for an audience to escape reality for a moment in time.</p>

<p>Again my question with a little bit less mistake:<br /> How much importance give you to the beauty of the model, <strong>when</strong> you are tak<strong>ing</strong> a portrait?<br /> I find interesting point of view of all and also the photo from Jeff Spirer is a gut example. Also accordig all of this and some question that i make myself, IMHO, the concept of "beauty" is relativ to the photograh, also the ability to discover the beauty in others and show to the subject that this beauty is there. Also Fotograf-Subject according to the situation they can play many roll to show this "beauty" according the situation.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Hello <strong>Ian</strong> about your commentary:<br /> "<em>Beauty is for fashion. Not related to portraits whatsoever."</em> <br /> Maybe i was not enought clear in my question, when i speak about "beauty", i don't mean "Beauty" take this in the oficial formal category of "Beauty"(Fashion).<br /> In one commentary Joseph Braun ask me "<em>Do you mean physical beauty</em> ", that was a gut question, the quality of beauty, that i mean hier:<br /> That is not only physical beauty, that can only be apply only for the category of fashion, it is also extended to the aesthetic value of beauty, the inside quality, that is express when you are make a photo-shooting.<br /> Maybe you will be very interesting for you go to this forum:<br /> <br /> <a href="../philosophy-of-photography-forum/00QdmP">http://www.photo.net/philosophy-of-photography-forum/00QdmP</a> <br /> <br /> That is : <strong>"Photography and Aesthetic Formalism: How Do We Find Aesthetic Value and Beauty in Photographs?", Attila Ataner, Aug 26, 2008</strong> <br /> Best regard,<br /> <br /> Ricardo</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Of course beautiful people are nice to look at, no question. However, I concur w/ some posts here that to me this is always secondary.</p>

<p>The main question needs to be: what do I have in mind with this picture, with this model? Will it fit what I'm trying to capture? Just like beautiful is not necessarily not interesting, "ugly" doesn't necessarily mean interesting. The whole premise is wrong.</p>

<p>If you are trying to sell something, beauty is important. I don't recall exactly when it was, but some of us old timers might remember back to the late 70's or early 80's. There was a brief fad in television commercials where they used regular ( cough - ugly - cough ) people to sell products. That fad did not last long. </p>

<p>It occurs to me that as a newbie part of the art of photography is having the ability to "bring out" the natural beauty of any given person / subject. Part of what fascinates me about photography is how some of you talented people seem to have an inate ability to extract the essence of beauty from within the subject. Wow! that sounds rather deep (especially for me!) but I guess what I am saying is that everything / body has beauty - it's knowing what and how to emphasize and what to leave out or hide that makes the difference. Thats where the photography talent bit comes in. Me . . . I struggle, but am inspired by all the fantastic examples you guys post. Many thanks for that. Pete.</p>