More quality lenses or new body

jerry_rodriguez

<p>I had posed a question not to long ago about having an opportunity to buy a new 40d or used 5d. I have a 20d now with array of lenses no L's though. My question is I want to start doing weddings and portraits on the side. should I invest my money in a new body( leaning to 5d) so my 20d can be a backup or buy quality lens and use my sister's xt as my backup. i have always said invest in the future first and would like photography as more a lucrative business rather than a hobby. i know quality lens are forever and bodies change every year. thanks. i have $2000 to spend.</p>

<p>Depends on the lenses you currently have. Some non-L lenses are as good as L when it comes to image quality. For $2000 you could get a used 40D and a nice lens. You could also sell the 20D and use the XT as backup. XT is a very good camera, if the light is right.</p>

<p>Jerry<br>

If you intend on shooting weddings and portraits take a look at the Weddings and Portraits sections under the "Learning" tab on this site. They have some really great information on what to expect and what equipment most people use. That still does not answer your question on what to purchase first. </p>

<p>My personal opinion is you should start with lenses. Fast glass (large aperture) will help you in low light conditions where a flash can not be used, such as inside most churches. Personally I would be looking at the 24-70 f/2.8L. This lens is probably the most widely used wedding lens out there and for good reason. For portraits, there is a lot of debate between which lens is better, the 50mm or 85mm. My suggestion here is maybe rent both and see which one fits your needs.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that if you do decide to purchase lenses first, plan for the future. I would stay clear of the EF-S lenses if you plan on switching to full frame as these lenses are incompatible. If you run into a situation where you need a particular lens but don't have the money to buy one, renting is always a good option.</p>

<p>One last piece of advice (if I may). Only purchase once. Don't settle for less expensive lenses to try to save money. Eventually you will end up with expensive lenses having paid more money in the long run. Even if you did sell those less expensive lenses.</p>

<p>Brian Rhodes</p>

<p>It doesn't matter what lenses you have, if you intend to shoot a wedding professionally with one camera body you are rolling the dice in a totally unacceptable way - for your future business and someone else's memories.</p>

<p>Get a second body for sure... it won't be merely a back-up body as you will appreciate having two different lenses mounted and immediately available. Then look towards expanding and improving your lens line up. Yes, glass is important, but not as important as making sure you get any shots at all!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>OK - My bad and I totally apologize for missing the bit about using your sister's camera body for a back-up. You are obviously on top of that issue and I'm sorry if I sounded preachy.</p>

<p>I still think your own second body should be a priority. However, if you think you can use her camera body on a reliable and regular basis, I agree with Brian that the 24-70mm f2.8L is an excellent lens - more versatile with full frame obviously, but it is a purchase you would never regret.</p>

<p>This is the age-old dilemna of APS-C sensors. As soon as you go FF you are back into what was the 35mm film focal range, and if you didn't come from there you are having to choose between a better body and better lenses.<br>

You need to say what lenses you use, and devise a deliberate strategy of APS-C or FF DSLR.<br>

If I was moving up I would get a 17-40L and 85 f.1.8 (28-65 and 135 equivalent) & 430 or 580 EX: ie quality lenses + a respectable Speedlite.<br>

If I was making enough as a photographer then I would bite the rein and get a FF DSLR.<br>

Quickly enough, I would add a 24-70 f/2.8 L.<br>

Add an EF12 ET extension tube to make the 85 a close-up lens for shoelaces, cake details etc. (That works better than a macro for normal close-ups, believe me)<br>

I would then, all continuing well, add either an 85 f/1.2LII for its magic, or a 70-200 f/4 IS L for its versatility.<br>

Another DSLR would then become necessary.<br>

An accountant who could ammortise the costs against tax would my next step.<br>

Then I would wonder why I gave up the day job!</p>

<p>The newer XXD series bodies such as the 40D and 50D have much better AF performance than your 20D. There all cross sensor AF arrays make a major diff in low light and off-center compositions. I'd say get one of those and use your 20D as backup. The 5D is a great camera whose IQ still stands strong next to the latest offerings. However, the AF array is merely a tweaked and upgraded 20D system. Sure it's a notch better than your 20D--AI servo is much better due to the "invisible" assist points--but you may find the off-center points lacking in dim churches.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Until your lens arsenal is well rounded, it probably makes more sense buying lenses rather than bodies. Unless you buy a Series One body - which will 'keep on tickin' for a long time - the lower end bodies are more of a "consummable" and you will likely want to upgrade every few years. I don't want to ignite a controversy about Pro bodies v others, so please no one take it there. But you will have your "L" lens after you've gone through your 5D, 5D2, 5D3 etc.</p>

<p>"I don't want to ignite a controversy about Pro bodies v others, so please no one take it there. "</p>

<p>LOL Christopher... As both a 1 series and an xD user I have no dog in this fight at all. However, the irony of the above comment is kinda funny as you "take it there" in almost every post you make , whether it is relevant or not (as in this thread)!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I don't want to ignite a controversy about Pro bodies v others, so please no one take it there. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is a gear forum. And a gear forum is a place for open discussions. You can not prevent us from discussing something just because you don't want to. We can damn well discuss any piece of gear we please. So there! Actually a used 1D series wouldn't a bad idea if the OP has the biceps to hump one those all day...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>John, I'm not taking any offense, but my comment is a relevant one.<br /> <br /> In my experience, the D(s)2 or 3 series are going to be in the hands of the owner for a long time. I own these cameras, they do everything I want them to do, and nothing that Canon introduces as the latest and greatest is going to diminish the quality of these bodies.<br /> <br /> When comparing non "1" bodies to "L" lenses though, it's not really a valid comparison IMO. The consumer bodies get used up, worn out and then it's on to the next latest and greatest. I still regularly see 1D and 1Ds bodies used by pro photo J's, I don't see 10D's, ever...but the 1D's often have the older 28-70 lens on them.<br /> <br /> "Longetivity" is a good consideration for any photographer seriously pondering their gear. 2 5d2's or a Ds3? It's about the same money right now.</p>

<p>Christopher - I'm glad you didn't take offense, none was intended, just gentle ribbing (and I know there are way too many thin skinnned folks around)...</p>

<p>I do see your point about longevity, and I am obviously a fan of 1 series bodies as I have dropped the cash on them. However, the 5Ds last around 4 or 5 years at a minimum, and if I had no other cameras and the choice was 2 5D MkIIs or one 1DsMkIII I would choose the 5Ds. Unless the 1 Series advantages are REALLY needed, it seems like a lot of money for people to spend if they have limited budgets and the other options were back up bodies and better glass. I see nothing wrong with replacing bodies every few years, they are just tools and it's nice to get the latest technology, new warranties and not worry if the shutter is about to pack in. </p>

<p>The question of "usage" is always a relevant question. For my purposes, "Longevity" is a big consideration. I don't remember the shutter durability of the 5D, but it's not unusual for me to shoot up to 10K exposures a week. Using solely a 5d, it's 'toasted' at the end of 3 months. So purely as a tool, it's not a good body for me unless I want Canon to be replacing shutters 3 or 4 times a year. A casual user wouldn't have the same issues, I suppose. But then, it might be questionable whether a "casual user" really needs an "L" lens too?</p>

<p>Hey Christopher,</p>

<p>If you'd be replacing your 5D MkIIs shutter every 3 months, I assume you are replacing your 1DsMkIIi's shutter every 6 months (it having twice the number of shutter cycles - 300K to 150K) so longevity is pretty relative term anyway for you. For most people not shooting 10,000 frames a week it isn't quite such a major deal.</p>

<p>John B, yes, it's a relative term, and that "relativity" applies equally to lenses - which is the point my post above. The casual user (or armchair photographer) might be looking for that "L" lens when a non-L lens will not hold them back one bit...just as a 5D will serve their purposes just as well as a 1Ds2 or 1Ds3.</p>

<p>Get a 5D. Super duper camera. I just sold both my 30ds and one of them was over 150K shutter counts! I purchased a new 40D for a 3 month long travel and I clicked off 21K without any issues. One of my 5Ds has over 80K and the newer one has about 3K. So far no issues (knock on wood). I love the 24-105 on one 5D and the other 70-200 2.8IS is on the second 5D. I use the 40D for speed when I shoot aviation and sports. Final answer is 5D. v/r Raz </p>