canon 1Ds Canon 5D how do they compare

jdemoss99

<p>1) 1Ds has a lot of versions from 1Ds mark 1 through 1Ds Mk3. The 1Ds Mk 1 is a fairly old camera. A good used copy will give you lots of good images still but you have to find a good copy.<br>

2) 5D is also a two three years old camera. Find a good copy and you will be find.<br>

3) The 50D is a brand new introduction from Canon and the D300 is a fairly new camera from Nikon. Both will also give you great images.<br>

4) The K20D is one of the top of the line camera from Pentax and it also will give you excellent images.<br>

As far as all around they can all be all around camera with the 1Ds being slightly more bulky and heavy.<br>

You really need to do more research and check out the pixel count, size, weight, cost for each camera and read a lot of test reviews about them. Then go to a local camera store and do a touch and feel test.<br>

You have mentioned four cameras that are as far apart as apple, orange, peach and pineapple so they are pretty hard to compare side by side.<br>

That said, you focus a bit more on what kind of all around camera you are looking for and I am sure the members on photo.net will have no problem pointing you to the proper direction. </p>

<p>I have read the reviews on cnet of all cameras I mentioned. The original 1Ds scored an 8.6 with image quality being a 9, the canon 5D scored a 7.9 with image quality being a 9, the 50D scored a 7.8 with image quality being an 8, the nikon D300 scored an 8.4 with image quality of 9, and the pentax which gets great reviews from users and some other sites score a 7.6 with image quality of 7. Most people I talk to or read reviews on the Pentax say the images are fantastic and it has a higher resolution line score than the D300. So why is it not rated with the others as far as image. I know that the AF is slow but thats not a big deal for me. Also these cameras are a few years apart in release dates so on the ones that scored 9s for image quality is that for their time period or are these kept current as new models come out. I want to lean toward the Pentax because of image wuality people have talked about. My main uses will be wildlife, hunting, landscape, and some portraits as needed. My man objective is the clearest, brightest, sharpest images poosible with a fairly easy setup. I know some cameras you had to have graduated from MIT to figure them out and I don't like that. so could someone offer a little help on this. ken Rockwell say that above all Megapixels do not matter so what does then.</p>

<p>Have you looked at the Panasonic G1? Image quality is similar to all the aforementioned DSLR models. Due to lighter weight and smaller size, it will be easier to carry along with your gun. I would not pay attention to CNET ratings -- those guys are a bunch of computer nerds. At least we are photo nerds.</p>

<p>I have the original Canon 1Ds (11.1) megapixel camera that I bought new in 2003. It is a fantastic camera with large pixels (8.8 microns). I still use this camera today and it produces gorgeous images. The camera is full frame (no crop factor) and has the pro body with 45 point autofocus system.<br>

You can buy a used 1Ds today for a fraction of the original price (which was $8000.).<br>

sample image attached.<br>

Jerry</p><div>00SExj-106959584.thumb.jpg.9c919927bbedafb7a7d64de62e6787f7.jpg</div>

• 1 month later...
<p>1Ds was my primary camera, and I still use it. Since you must do landscape also, I would say get FF sensor, then worry about reach with lens' for wildlife. I would also put more weight on autofocus speed for wildlife. Slow lens response, inaccuracy or "hunting " for focus would bother me.</p>