Question for 580ex users

ben_cops

<p>Hi all<br>

I'm considering upgrading to a 580ex2 from a 430ex. A couple of questions;</p>

<ul>

<li>can i just dial in FEC on the dial on the back of the flash?</li>

<li>does the strobe functionality (multiple flashes in one photo) work well? Could I use it to produce a flash every 4 seconds on a 4s exposure, for example?</li>

<li>Is the recycle time noticably faster</li>

<li>Is it a good match for a 1d2?</li>

</ul>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Ben</p>

<p>As to FEC, I believe you can but in all honesty I always use the camera to add FEC.</p>

<p>Multiple flashes. Yes it works well when used as master/slave, I actually have 2 580's and 1 580EX2. I never owned a 430 but the 580 ex2 is quiet, recycles fast and fits the camera much better the the old 580. </p>

<p>I say get one, having more then 1 flash opens up all kinds of possibilities and the 580 will also produce more light then the 430.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks - for the multiple flash what I actually meant (sorry that wasn't very clear) is for the flash to fire more than once for a single exposure. I thought you could do it with the 580ex. So for a moving subject, you'd get, say, 4 flashes of it caught at 4 different places.</p>

<p>Hi Ben,<br>

Have been photoing for a number of years, picked up a 50ex2 and 40D last April.<br>

I have the 580exII, and while I don't have not used a 430 to this point in time, but upgraded from the 380ex for the following reasons:<br>

1) faster recycle time, with the 380 I missed shots but the 580exII is faster. I shoot a lot of action of kids pics. With the 380 would have to wait for the thing to recycle<br>

2) wanted a higher guide number<br>

3) I find the 580exII a good match for my 40D and an set the flash up through the cameras menus. Don't have a 1D2. Don't know if this function is avail. on the 1D2, think the 40D was the first to incorp. this, could be wrong though<br>

4) Wanted the ability to use full manual control<br>

5) build, so much better than the 380, in terms of build, especially the foot clamp and the battery door<br>

6) Want to get into multi-flash set ups, and use the 580 to trigger a 430 (still on my wish list).<br>

7) Strob feature</p>

<p>Hi Ben,<br>

Have been photoing for a number of years, picked up a 50ex2 and 40D last April.<br>

I have the 580exII, and while I don't have not used a 430 to this point in time, but upgraded from the 380ex for the following reasons:<br>

1) faster recycle time, with the 380 I missed shots but the 580exII is faster. I shoot a lot of action of kids pics. With the 380 would have to wait for the thing to recycle<br>

2) wanted a higher guide number<br>

3) I find the 580exII a good match for my 40D and an set the flash up through the cameras menus. Don't have a 1D2. Don't know if this function is avail. on the 1D2, think the 40D was the first to incorp. this, could be wrong though<br>

4) Wanted the ability to use full manual control<br>

5) build, so much better than the 380, in terms of build, especially the foot clamp and the battery door<br>

6) Want to get into multi-flash set ups, and use the 580 to trigger a 430 (still on my wish list).<br>

7) Strob feature</p>

<p>I have both. Both are excellent flashes, both recycle fast, especially if you use NiMh rechargable batteries. I think the 580 might be marginally faster, and a little more powerful. But if you are using alkaline batteries, your first step should be to switch to NiMh for dramatically better recycle times.<br>

I don't often use multistrobe funcionality. Yes you can dial in FEC (I thought you could do that on both). Both match well for the 1D2.<br>

I think you may be missing a major point. The big difference between these flashes is the 580 can act as a master, the 430 just as a slave. I definitely recommend you get a second flash, but not to replace your 430, to ADD to it. Getting a second flash off camera will push your photography to a new level.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Thanks all - yes the <i>main</i> reason for getting the upgrade is to be able to (sometimes) use a second flash. Anyway I went for it and the flash arrived today - excitedly brought it home to find the batteries on everything have run out :) so i'm waiting for both my camera batts to charge at the moment.</p>

<p>Anyway i'm loving the flash as an object in itself so far and the silent recharge is just weird. But cool.</p>

<p>cheers all.</p>

<p>Ben</p>

<p>I'm lucky enough to have both flash guns and I can honestly say that the 580 mkII has impressed me immensley. It seems so effortless in comparioson to anything else I've used, its intuitive and almost second nature. I use rechargeables 2700 mnh batteris and they last for ages. I haven't used my 430 in anger since I got the 580 MkII...I love it.</p>