Low temperatures with RB67

jarred mcdaniel

<p>I was out shooting in temperatures between -5 and 5 degrees Fahrenheit, and I believe I may have discovered the minimum operating temperature for a couple of my lenses, specifically my 90C and my 180C. I was shooting Velvia 50 in a Pro-S 120 back, and Rollei Pan 25 in a non-Pro-S back. I shot one frame of Velvia with a 65mm non-C lens, then pretty much shot the whole roll of Rollei film, then shot the rest of the Velvia. When I was shooting the Velvia, I noticed that the mirror was frequently flipping, but I couldn't hear the shutter, and the used frame indicator would not indicate exposure. I reexposed the frame on several of the shots to make sure that I had exposed it, and checked the mirror up cable release to make sure it was functioning properly, which it seemed to be. Snyway, I developed the rolls and found that the Pan 25 was exposed perfectly, but only the first and last frames of velvia were exposed at all (and these were somewhat overexposed by about 1/2 a stop). I believe I used the 65mm non-C for the first frame and my 180mm C for the last frame. I don't have an explanation for why the last frame was exposed, but I can only suppose the ambient temperature warmed up enough to allow shutter release. Anyway, interesting occurrence. </p>

<p>Your lenses preformed well considering their age n the temps. Have you had them serviced recently? Generally very low temps cause slugish shuttters on old lenses that haven't been cleaned in a long time. Most of my lenses run realtively dry so low temp doesn't have much effect on em. You can have he camera n lenses serviced for winter use, where very tiny amts of graphite is put in the bearings n some friction spots instead of the light oil n grease traditionally used. The problem with that is if the shutter is very worn, the graphite will just make things worse.</p>
The more you say, the less people listen.

<p>The single best way to find out what otherwise perfectly operating shutters need overhauling is to take them out in the cold, guaranteed. (the voice of experience and all that)<br>

Properly cleaned and lubed, -5 shouldn't be an issue. If you are planning on lots of outdoor shooting, Paul's implied suggestion to run them as dry as possible is a good one, in fact, I'd bet he'd happily set you up with a CLA as well. (and you'd be smart to let him work on your lenses, there's very few people that truly love the RB like Paul does)</p>

<p>erie</p>

<p> </p>