F100 vs. N90s

exp.

Hello!

Comparing the quality and the price what would you choose? Does

anyone know a little bit more about these two cameras?

I want to buy a new camera but can't decide which one. I've thought

to buy F100 but I've read so many bad reviews and do not know what to

do.

Thank you in advance

Bad reviews of the F100? Hmmm...I've read nothing but raving reviews. There are even some that talk about the improvements that F100 made over the F5.

Personally, I would go for the F100. It is a higher level camera and newer technology to boot. But then again, I'm not you so only you really know which one is best for you. Ask yourself what features you want and for what will you use the camera. That should decide which camera is the best fit.

If you still can't decide which one you need/want, then you should revisit what made you narrow it down to both choices to begin with.

There are several reasons that the F100 would be a better buy.

The primary one would be that the F100 works with VR.

Then there is the fact the much of the functionality provided by adding the MF26 back to the N90s is built into the F100. With this in mind, for similar functionality, the price differnce between the two is less than it appears.

I have the N90s with the MF26 back and the MB10 grip. If the F100 had been available when I pruchased the N90s, I would have gone with the F100.

I hope this helps.

Vernon

F100, without any doubts or reservations. F100's additional capabilities may or may not mean anything to you. But F100 is an ergonomically superior body that is also much more durable. That in my mind puts F100 ahead unless you can get the N90s for $400 or less.

I bought an F5 in late 1997 and then an F100 in early 2000. I never had an N90s; prior to the F5, my last Nikon was an F4, which I still own. I too can recommand the F100 with no reservation. I indeed frequently use the F100 instead of the F5 because the F100 is lighter and smaller. There is no mirror lock up and the F100 is not as extremely durable as the F5, but for amateur use (i.e. no abuse), the F100 is just fine.

I own both. The F100 is quite a bit faster in the AF department. It also handles better, IMO. Since I got the F100, I hardly use the N90s; about the only time is if I need to use two 'fast AF' cameras at the same time. I think the 'bad reviews' you're seeing are largely due to early problems that have since been ironed out.

Bottom line: if you're on a tight budget, the N90s is quite a lot of camera for what they sell for now (used). If you can afford it, the F100 is an outstanding camera, and would be my first choice in a film SLR.

I won both also. Since buying the F100 my N90s has only been used for infrared photography. My theory si to buy the best camera (best = most options) that you can afford. If you buy the N90s you'll always wished you had the F100. Buy the F100. I've never read a bad review about it. In fact the autofocus motor on my N90s went out after 13 months (one month after the warranty expired) and Nikon charged me $275 to repair it. With the price I paid for the N90s and the $275 repair bill 13 months later, I should have just bought the F100 to start with!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...