Help! Talk me out of purchase - M6 TTL

<p>Marco; as an owner of a chrome M6 ttl (.72) myself, I'll ask you this question: "Are you ever NOT going to want it?"<br>

Also, you know as well as I do that these cameras hold their value beautifully, so you can always resell it, if need be.</p>

<p> </p><div>00SBxs-106212084.jpg.9c1e7918c64843a7705cfe1cc07eccad.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>Too late Dan. Got it this morning. Shot a couple of rolls in the City of London and in Epsom Downs, near the race course, in a pub, where I went to retrieve a hat I left there last Sunday. What a gorgeous piece of equipment. So intuitive to use I think. Apparently, it belonged to an old gentleman who bought it in 2002 put about 10 rolls through it and upgraded last week to an M8.2 - looks pristine. I'll probably get a lot more use out of it.<br>

PS Marco is OK.<br>

PS2 Go go Gerber. You'll not regret it.</p>

</blockquote>

mark, i traded mine against an m8 for convenience sake, but it was easily the best camera i ever owned. well done, watch your framelines, use r25 filter when u shoot b/w, keep it switched off when its in your camera bag, and shoot lots. it takes a while to get used to but well worth it.

<p>Get a Contax G1 or G2 instead... Zeiss optics, full auto or full manual, nice rangefinder, optional flash, and a HELL of a lot less money than a Leica.</p>

<p>But since you already bought your Leica, it's too late to talk you out of it. So... happy shooting with it, those are great cameras.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You'll never get your money back out of it if you are concerned about that kind of thing.<br>

Contax is definitely the way to go if you are only worried about taking pictures. If you are under the Leica spell, then I guess it's a lost cause.<br>

Or you could just sink that money into an excellent digital camera and go and take some pix.</p>

<p>Don't buy the M6. It will make all of your SLRs seem like weird stage props from "Gulliver's Travels." <br>

I spent a week walking the West Highland Way with an M6 TTL and two lenses. I couldn't believe how big my DSLR was when I got back. It felt very strange.<br>

And... M6s are crazy cheap for what they are. You can sell it later if you decide it's not your religion.</p>

<p>I own two Contax G2 cameras and use them for shooting stereo slides. Therefore they are mounted side by side on a aluminium bar and connected with an electronic release cable. As such a set-up tends to become quite heavy and shooting is quite complicated in this way, I liked to have automated as much as possible, including film transport, but with the option to set in manually mode. For this purpose the G2 turned out the most optimum choice.</p>

<p>Though the results are beautifull, thanks to the Zeiss 45mm or 28 mm lenses,I don't like the building of the camera much. The viewer is like looking through a tunnel and the switches are too weak, either their mechanical reliability (two broke off already) as the changing in the settings. Each time I take the camera-twins out of my bag I have to check all settings of both cameras. It is very easy to skip accidently one of them. Besides I think the camera is quite noisy due to the auto focus system and film transport.</p>

<p>No, for normal shooting of people I definitely prefer the M6. No pun or flaming intended.</p>

<p>There are several other ways to think about it:</p>

<p>Don't think of it as purchasing a Leica. Think of it as transferring a current asset (cash) into a fixed asset (Leica M6 TTL). There is little doubt that you couldn't recover at least 90% of what you pay for it (including shipping) if you chose not to keep it.</p>

<p>Furthermore, if you purchase it, use it, and decide against keeping it, think of the small amount of money you may lose at rent: if you lose a $100, and keep it for a year, you are renting it for $0.27/day, which is a minor sum compared to the price of a latte.</p>

<p>Finally, consider... all the urges a guy could have: womanizing, gambling, heavy drinking, etc, wanting to buy a M6 is harmless and innocent.</p>

There really is something to the Leica M series. I have an M3 and a 50mm planar that I shoot with, and it is amazing. There was not a single bad shot on my first two rolls. As for Contax G, well, they are not for me, that is for sure. The thing about the Leica M is that it gets out of the way of the process and lets you focus. The G you are focused on the camera at all times, and it completely gets in the way.

There is a right way to do an AF RF, but the Hexar and the G are not it. Put it down to Japanese engineers either stymied by bad management or not thinking out of the box.

<p>Earlier this week, I made the trek to D.C. to be part of history. The only digital gear I brought was a Canon G10 and my iPhone. The G10 never left my clothing bag. Instead, I shot for 26 hours straight using a M6TTL, M3, 15 VC, 28 Summicron, 35 Lux asph and 50 Lux asph, no bag, just a vest and 45 rolls of Kodachrome film. <br>

Let me just say this mode of operation was perfect. I was always ready, my gear did not get in the way and the cold did not stop me from making images with all mechanical cameras.</p>

<div>00SDkp-106659684.jpg.6ba083a4c9f2ab1cda50aac6266cc148.jpg</div>