Using a 16GB or 32GB card in a 5D Mark II?

shawn_may

<p>Quick question- if the in-camera listing conventions only handle 999 photographs, how does the camera handle a 16GB or 32GB card? This question applies to all cameras, really, but I'm especially curious about the 5D Mark II, since mine comes in the mail tomorrow. </p>

<p>The camera (top panel) will display 999 as the number of available shots until the real number falls below 999. FWIW: a 16GB card can store, depending on the settings and subject matter, only about 600 21 mpixel images.</p>

<p>

<p>I have the 20d. It treats a 16GB and a 32GB CF like an 8GB. Also, like Michael said, it does not start counting shots left until the count drops below 999.<br>

Is there a formula to accurately compute the file space? I've tried every thing I know, binary 1M and 1G, multiplying row and column pixels, etc. I know jpeg is approximate (because of lossy compression), but raw should be accurate.</p>

</p>

<p>Well, the size of Canon RAW files also depends on the subject matter and other settings: looking at my today's output, RAW files (from 1Ds3) vary from 20 to 37 mbytes in size (most are between 24 and 26 mbytes.) The camera settings: ISO 200-1250, no NR of any kind, HTP off.</p>

<p>John and Shawn, just idly curious, are you the same guy?</p>

<p>Anyway, on the subject: I'm in Ross Murphy's camp: I'd much rather use smaller cards, less eggs in the basket.</p>

<p>Depends on how much you're shooting, but the smaller cards might be a more practical quantity. Also, prices tend to be more reasonable, and you don't have compatibility issues.</p>

<p>Does it really matter if you don't know that you have, say 1652 shots remaining? How fast are you shooting and how often do you transfer them to a PC?</p>

<p>If you're shooting so many images that you fill these cards (and therefore need to know the remaining count), obviously you need many of them regardless. I'd go with 2 16GBs rather than 1 32GB card, just in case. Either way I rarely look at the images-remaining counter on my camera.</p>

<p>As for what happens when you reach 999, I'm pretty sure the camera will create a second folder for subsequent shots.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>From what I have read about the large cards only going to 8gb in a Canon 20D is true; however, if you format the card in your computer, the 20D will use the full amount of space.<br>

I also agree with the last poster, I've never had a problem with the card in my camera, but could see misplacing one, so I'd rather go for the larger cards too.</p>