Questions about 40/50D body design

anders_carlsson

I'm borrowing a 50D over the weekend and of course I want one. However I have some issues with some aspects of the body, comparing it with my 20D. So, to 40/50D users:

1) How do you all protect such a gigantic LCD screen from being scratched?

2) Can you carry the camera over the shoulder without accidentally pressing the buttons below the screen (with whatever human body part the camera rests against)?

3) The battery slot door looks and feels flimsy (again, comparing with 20D). Is this a problem at all?

Thanks for input.

<p>#2 From my own experience with the 40D, it gets a bit iffy: if your lens is heavy enough to keep the camera angled and away from your body, you won't press any buttons while carrying the camera on the shoulder, but if the lens is light and the camera body is not angled out but it's "rubbing" against your body instead, you'll most likely accidentally activate the buttons below the LCD and/or the SET button. No biggie, though.</p>

<p>I used to have a 20D and now have a 50D and in the early days it seemed to me that I would occasionally accidentally flip the power switch off while the camera was slung over my shoulder and would hit my hip or something. However, that has not happened since the first few days with the camera (I don't know what happened to stop it). Re the screen, I would not worry about it, though I have attached a plastic cover over the screen to afford it some modicum of protection. And the battery door appears to me no different from the 20D's, so don't worry about it.</p>

<p>Also, it should be noted, that (at least the 5-Series Camera's) have an auto power-off setting. When it power's off, you have to manually power it off, then power-it on again. Not only does it save battery, but also from accidently hitting a buton.</p>

<p>I don't think I've ever hit a button or switch while carrying either my 30D or 50D. My 30D screen is still perfect and the 50D screen is as well. Although, the 50D LCD does have a protectoive skin over it.<br>

The 30/50D powers off at a user set interval, but wakes almost instantly when the shutter is half pressed. I often leave the cameras on for extended periods, like days.<br>

No issues with the battery door on either body.</p>

<p>2) As others have said, a non-problem.</p>

<p>3) Having moved from 20D to 40D to 50D, I can't say I'd noticed any deterioration in the quality of the battery doors. They are all flimsy, and rather let down the solid build quality of the camera body, but I have never had any trouble with them.</p>

<p>I've owned the 20D, 40D and 50D and had no problems with LCD scratches. However I use an E-1 hand strap and topload Lowepro so you'd have to try really hard to scratch it. Hate neck straps...<br>

Yeah, the 20D battery door has a metal hinge whereas the 40D/50D is plastic. Don't think it's prone to breaking but might fall off more easily. With the BG-E2 it's a moot point.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter