Pentax 75mm f.2.8

cal_lagar

Has anybody done any tests on this particular lens?

I am interested in purchasing one and I don't know if I would be

better off buying the f.4.5 version of this lens rather than the new

one.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cal

I've had mine for about three weeks and I couldn't be happier with it. In addition to providing f2.8 viewing, it's lighter than the old 75/4.5, focuses much more closely and uses smaller filters.

I've owned two of the older 75s, one a very early model, the other a recent one with cosmetic updates, but the 75/2.8 is a very different lens and a big improvement. It's close focusing means it actually provides a larger magnification than the 135mm macro: around 2.8:1 as opposed to 3:1. That fact, combined with its use of 67mm filters, the same as the 135mm macro, makes those two lenses pretty much all I need for my work as a horticultural photographer.

Previously I used the 75mm/4.5 as my 'whole tree' lens, and the 135mm as my 'flower' lens. Now with the new 75mm I can take advantage of the slightly different field of view of the wider lens for close-ups too. It's a pity that it stops down to just f22.

Apart from the price difference there's really no reason to consider the older lens. Even then I'd say get the 2.8 and you won't regret it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I had to wait two months to get my own 75 mm f/2.8 this summer. I went around the Gaspe peninsula in August, more specifically to Forillon National Park. I shot seascapes with both my 55 mm f/4 and my new 75 for comparison. Results were very similar : extreme sharpness, no flare, lovely colors and good DOF. All pictures taken on a heavy tripod and with MLU. The angle of view is not that different (78 degrees vs 61 degrees), though the 75 mm is more of a general purpose lens while the 55 excels at sweeping vistas. Resolution seems to hold down to f/22 on the 75 mm just as is the case with the 55 mm. My "light kit" now consists of the 75 mm along with the 200 mm f/4.

Regards,

Richard Laroche