How can I identify my viewfinder factor? .72 .84 ?

dreamspy1

<p>Hi</p>

<p>I have a leica M6 TTL and I'm interested in knowing how I can identify what model it is? That is, what kind of viewfinder is in it. I'we heard there are somethings like .59, .72 .98 multiplication factors that determine the model of the viewfinder.</p>

<p>regards<br>

Frímann</p>

<p>I think you're wright.<br>

If I remember correctly then my leica is a .72, but I wasn't 100% sure. But yeah mine has all 6 frames. But I'm selling the camera so I want to be 100% sure.</p>

<p>Isn't it possible to find this out using the serial nr of the camera?</p>

<p>IIRC, 0.58 and 0.85 versions of M6TTL were released after the original .72 version had hit the market, and the magnification numbers started to be etched in the place mentioned above when these two versions were added to the lineup.</p>

<p>So, if your M6 doesn't have etched "0.72", it should be pre-0.58/0.85 version of 0.72. Sorry for the somewhat tangled description. :)</p>

<p>If your M6 has a frame for a 28mm lens, it probably has the .58 viewfinder. </p>

<p>The original M3 viewfinder, with frames for 50mm, 90mm and 135mm lenses (three lenses), had .91 magnification. The M2 had a wider .72 viewfinder, with frames for 35mm, 50mm and 90mm lenses (also three lenses). If I recall correctly, the M4 and M6 had .58 viewfinders with frames for 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm, 90mm, and maybe 135mm lenses (six lenses). The reason that they went from a .72 viewfinder to a .58 viewfinder was to make enough room for a 28mm viewfinder frame, which the .72 was not wide enough to accommodate. </p>

<p>The .85 viewfinder was a special version of the M6, intended to make it easier to focus longer lenses with shallow depths of field at their maximum apertures, such as the 50mm f/1.2 Noctilux, 50mm f/1 Noctilux, 75mm f/1.4 Summilux and 90mm f/2 Summicron. Those lenses worked OK with the .58 finder at medium apertures, but it was hard to focus them accurately at maximum aperture with the .58 finder. If I remember correctly, the .85 finder had frames for the 35mm, 50mm, 75mm, 90mm and 135mm lenses (five lenses). The 35mm frame was right out at the edges of the viewfinder, though, and it was reportedly hard to see the whole thing all at once.</p>

<p>"If your M6 has a frame for a 28mm lens, it probably has the .58 viewfinder."</p>

<p>No. Not necessarily.</p>

<p>Most M6 classics have the .72 finder with .85 finders available very late in the run (some, not all, .85 mag finders are indicated on the large window on the front of the camera).</p>

<p>All three options were available with the M6TTL. Most, but not all, were produced with the finder mag indicated on the large window.</p>

<p>All M7 (and MP) cameras were initially produced with all three finder mags and all had the VF mag indicated on the large VF window.</p>

<p>

<p>If your camera has both the 28 and 135 framelines, then it’s a .72 finder. Groupings are as follows -</p>

</p>

<p>The .72 finder has 6 framelines (in three groups): 35-135, 50-75, 28-90<br /><br />The .58 finder has 5 framelines: 35, 50-75, 28-90<br /><br />The .85 finder has 5 framelines: 35-135, 50-75, 90</p>

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra